Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 06:48:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Take your parrot to work day

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take your parrot to work day  (Read 272 times)
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Badges: (View All)
Search Level 4 Windows User
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:04:21 pm »

I am an RN and work at a nursing home.  I work on the sub-acute side (after surgeries etc rehabbing to go home) but there is a long term side and an Alzheimer's unit as well.  I started there a little over a year ago.  I like to get a feel for staff as well as residents that may like or dislike birds before I take them in.  I worked at my last place 10 yrs and Yoshi had made quite the name for himself there.  I know Yoshi loves it and so do a lot of the patients.

Anyway I took Yoshi and Hollywood in (trying to socialize HW more).  Unfortunately I cannot bring Zuri- she with her past would be a wreck.  So  Cassie (my daughter) took Yoshi and I HW and off we went.  Yoshi was SOOOO happy, as he had not been to work for over a year.  He is always the life of and the talk of the party.  He is a little goofball.  He happily jumps off to the arm of whomever wants him (and sometimes those who may not expect it) and runs up to hug and snuggle them, give kisses etc.  I still have yet to teach him to say "yes I talk, can you fly?"  ...though not for my lack of trying. 

As we go through the Alzheimer's unit HW was on my arm and one lady was chastising me  laffhrd  Here is our conversation.  Is he real?  Yes ma'am he is real.  No he is NOT real.   yes, see he just turned your way, do you want me to come closer?  No he USED to be real and now you stuffed him-how could you DO that to an animal and take him places, you disgust me!  Do you want to see him closer?  NO you are horrible, no get away now.   dmblaf 
Alrighty then.  Now Cassie has no idea what to think of this.  She is like  :deer: goofi  I said no worries I will explain later and we did leave that area as not to upset the lady further.  But a lot of the residents LOVED him, even some in the Alzheimer's unit.  I took HW out the door outside so he could potty and a couple followed us right out to see him.  (it's ok it goes around the unit and back in another door)  thumb

We went to the long term side and a few were taken by them.  OH my goodness what do we have here!!??  They played games with Yoshi and talked with HW.  They were very pleased.

Then off to sub-acute where my patients were.  And I cannot tell you how many times I heard- I knew you had birds but this one is HUGE!!  LOL  And they had their pics taken a bunch of times.  And the patients exclaiming to their family - THIS is my nurse!!  All happy.  Then Yoshi took it upon himself to jump over and see this patient who had a severe stroke and cannot move much at all yet.  Jumped off to her arm, ran up her sleeve and snuggled to her neck.  (we will call this patient Penny)  She was all smiles and turned her head and said I hope you are not gonna attack me too?  Nope he gave her kisses instead.   :pray:  She was smiling from ear to ear.  I went to take him away cuz food trucks were coming any min and you know he would help himself to their food and steal it right from their mouth!  So I go to get him and he RUNS to her other shoulder and hides there like I can't see him.  (well this is not like Yoshi)  So I go to the other side and he RAN down her shirt and hid in her sweater.  Take him from there and he jumps again to her shoulder and snuggled.  So I let him snuggle for a min or 2 longer then took him off with a hand covering him.  He wanted so much to stay with her.  I think she would have liked that too.  The staff was getting a big kick out of this.  But knowing his history and the only times he has acted like that was when with REALLY ill people or one of my dying patients, I talked to the supervisor before I left  I told her of his history of doing that with only really sick people or the one who was dying and awoke only to exclaim "real!!" and smile.  I said I know nothing appears wrong but  I am telling you something is up with Penny for him to act like that.  She says really? (like she does not believe me)  Low and behold my supervisor sent me a txt message Penny passed away last night after having another stroke. She said she didn't really believe me but dipped her urine and checked all her vitals etc and all seemed fine.

I feel so sad that she passed cuz she was finally starting to move her hands and such and now she is gone.  I am glad she had the opportunity to smile like she was before passing though.   
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »

What a rewarding experience for you and Cassie to be able to do. I'm sure that visit meant the world to all -- but especially Penny. She got some unconditional love at the end of her life. Love that she probably never would have gotten if you weren't her nurse. You are a gift to these people.
Report Spam   Logged

Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »

That is a very sad but, lovely story as well! I am so sorry Penny passed away, but at the same time I am sure this experience made her last hours so happy! Cassie certainly has a sixth sense!
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:56:53 pm »

You and Cassie are truly special people! As Debra stated you gave "Penny" a chance to know something she needed to know before she could pass on, unconditional love.

Ditty, you know my philosophy about life and death, but others here don't so I'll repeat it. I believe that we are put on earth to learn certain things, one being how to give and receive unconditional love and that if we haven't learned all our lessons we come back until all lessons are learned.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 04:25:57 pm »

oh wow ditty that is just so bitter sweet!  loveuk  yoshi is truly a one of a kind... as are you. i know i've said it before, but you truly do make such a huge difference in so many people's lives. its so gigantically profound there are really no words that do it justice.  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
jules
my sweet jasper
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 20

julie

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary 500 Posts
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:40:28 am »

ditty you made me cry with your fantastic tales of Yoshi and you with your patients. i've heard of animals and birds before not wanting to leave people who are dying, so sad but glad penny was smiling having Yoshi snuggle up to her   :heartu:

i would've loved to take jasper to work when i was working. i was a receptionist and i could just imagine jasper sitting on the front desk chatting away :)
Report Spam   Logged

Dec 2014
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

I can't take my fids to work with me. I drive a school bus. There would be total chaos and multiple bites to little fingers. Although my kids do want to see my birds. The love to look at pictures of them. A few of them have actually stopped by my house and been able to pet Lucy's back. I love the looks on their faces when they do that.
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:23:55 am »

Awww, how sweet that you are able to take Yoshi & HW.  hugu Love the stories and I bet you have tons more you could share with us here on other occasions.

Places where folks don't get the chance to be around nature is a perfect place to share our birds if we can. thumb I wished I could bring mine to work~~well maybe not my workplace. Definitely not my workplace!! But I would love to be able to take them to Rest Homes and places where small children could visit with them. I would not trust any of mine tho since they don't see strangers and might not be the sweet calm kids they can be here in their home.  hmm

Thanks for sharing with us Ditty. Anyone else get to enjoy taking their feathered kids to work? Please share with us here if you do.  :twirl:
Report Spam   Logged
Kendrafitz
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 13

One year Anniversary Linux User Level 4
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:39:33 am »

What a great story Ditty.  It's funny I had a feeling what the end would be when I read how Yoshi was acting.  I think it is amazing that he would want to give some joy and comfort to people who really, really need it.  What a special guy you have!!
Report Spam   Logged

Rosie & Kendra
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:03:15 am »

every once in a while i'll take skittles to my job. i work at a retail pharmacy. technically there are health department laws forbidding animals (other than service animals) in any establishment that sells human food. but i generally stay near the front of the store or in the employee areas. i always end up drawing a crowd of employees and customers. the tourists are the funniest, they seem to get the idea that sunny florida has exotic birds EVERYWHERE.  dmblaf we've even had people take our picture a few times. and of course, i usually end up doing a Parrots 101 class for curious admirers. skittles is definitely a 'looky dont touchy' kinda guy tho.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: