Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 05:33:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

BrokenWings Top Ten

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BrokenWings Top Ten  (Read 78 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:51:31 am »

Top 10 Ways to Outwit Wildlife and Battle Bugs Without Using Chemicals

*  Keep trash cans securely covered and in the garage until trash day, or pour ammonia or pepper in them to discourage foraging.
    * To keep ants out, wash kitchen surfaces with equal parts vinegar and water and pour a line of cream of tartar, red chili powder, paprika, or dried peppermint where ants enter the house.
    * Keep raccoons and other animals out of attics by trimming tree limbs and plants away from roofs and foundation walls.
    * To avoid contact with wasps, never work in the yard or garden wearing yellow or white, since these colors attract insects. Many insects cannot see red, making it a good color to wear when working in the yard.
    * Persuade any raccoons who take up residence in your attic to pack up and move to quieter surroundings by turning on a light and playing a portable radio for a day or two.
    * Save frogs and other animals from drowning in swimming pools with a Frog Saver Lily Pad or by dangling a knotted rope over the pool’s edge.
    * Cockroaches are incredible survivors—and they’re very opportunistic. Seal food in airtight containers and take away hiding places for roaches, then place bay leaves, cucumbers, garlic, or catnip around your home to repel them.
    * Stay mosquito-bite-free by eating brewer’s yeast daily, and make an effective skin repellent by diluting oil of citronella or oil of pennyroyal mint with vodka or vegetable oil.
    * Deter rodents from places that can’t be mouse- or rat-proofed (such as vehicle engines) with a mixture of salad oil, garlic, horseradish, and cayenne pepper. Let this sit for four days, then strain it into a spray bottle and spray it on the desired area. Moth balls and peppermint oil-soaked cotton balls also work well.
    * Observe wildlife from a safe, quiet distance—never touch, get close to, feed, or pick up wild animals.
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52:16 am »

The top 10 companion animal rights

Before you decide to go to the shelter and pick out that new puppy or kitten, the local reptile store for a new turtle, lizard, or snake, or even take your neighbors rabbit or bird; keep in mind that animals have rights too...

1.  A right to family:  Every animal desires to be part of "a pack" in which they are loved and respected.

2.  A right to health care:  In order to be a thriving addition to your family, all animals must have regular exams, be  properly vaccinated, and be free from fleas, ticks, and worms.  If health issues arise, your pet deserves to be cared for in every respect.

3.  A right to a good diet:  The basic neccesities for animals is the same as those of humans.  Shelter and food are two of the highest needs.  It is important that new pet parents are aware of thier pet's diet needs before they adopt.

4.  A right to proper training:  All animals need help in knowing what is required of them and training, for some, is the only way in which they can obtain that knowledge.

5.  A right to guidance and correction:  When implementing training tactics and correcting that which is done wrongly, all animals have the right to be handled with love and compassion rather than with abusive words and actions.

6.  A right to regular exercise:  All animals deserve the right to  walks, runs, hikes, and days out at parks and beaches, etc.  Without proper exercise, some pets can become bored, obese, or hyper.

7.   A right to stimulation:  In order for pets to live happy and fulfilled lives, all need toys and games and time in play with their human family members.  New sights and smells provide strong avenues for growth in the heart and mind of all pets.

8.  A right to fun:  With stimulation and exercise comes fun times for pets.  All have the right to experience new and exciting things.

9.  A right not to be rejected:  Pets make mistakes just like humans do and when one is made, no animal should ever be rejected because they do not meet up to our expectations.

10.  A right to live with dignity and to die with dignity when the time comes:  The hardest thing for a pet parent to do is say goodbye to their pets when the time comes but, all animals have the right to leave this earth with dignity and with the same love they entered into our homes with.
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
BrokenWing
Teacher Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52:58 am »

COMPANION ANIMALS

1. Spay and neuter. Each year, millions of dogs and cats are put to death in animal shelters. Spaying and neutering eases the overpopulation problem and prolongs the life of your dog or cat.
2. Never buy an animal from a pet shop. Adopt your companion animals from shelters. Pet shops buy from puppy mills and large-scale breeders who contribute to the population crisis and whose over-bred animals are often very unhealthy.
3. Never give an animal as a gift. Many an animal has been abandoned because people aren't prepared to care for it. Discuss it with your friends and family first.
4. Take notice and take action. Never ignore stray animals on the street, where they can become victims of disease, starvation, and human cruelty.
5. Help lost animals find their way home. Pay attention to flyers posted in your neighborhood. If you find a lost animal with no tag, post it in the newspaper, but be vague in your description. Animal guardians should be able to describe their animals in detail.
6. Support your local animal shelter. Animal shelters and SPCAs always need help socializing cats and walking dogs, fostering animals, and cleaning cages and pens. If you cannot volunteer, send a contribution.
7. Report abuse. Call your local humane society if you witness any type of cruely or abuse. It is common knowledge that violence towards non-human animals is a precursor of violence towards human animals.
8. Keep them safe at home. Be sure to keep collars and tags on dogs and cats (even if they are indoors). In case of an emergency, they can be returned home safely. Be sure to have a secure fence for dogs in your yard.
9. Use natural cleaners. Hazardous chemicals are harmful to your animals' health. Use only non-toxic cleaners in your home, and always clean up antifreeze (which tastes sweet to animals). Contact the Environmental Protection Agency (800-424-9346) to learn how to properly dispose of hazardous chemicals.
10. Warn people about thieves. People who place "free to a good home" ads in newspapers don't realize that "bunchers" are known to scan such ads for animals they can sell to laboratories.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: