Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 08:21:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

i call this...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i call this...  (Read 207 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: May 16, 2014, 06:11:48 pm »

... the same thing happens every nitehmm  a little background info... when i'm home all cage doors are open. now skittles lives here in the living room cage free. he stays in his territory and is happy to do so. the other three are each in a different corner of the room. then there's caleb's room (where he lives cage free) which is right off my living room. the door is always open but i keep a cage pan blocking the doorway. so when i get home i immediately open all doors and every birdie comes out to enjoy himself with his/her play area around their cages. marley has a kitchen window play area that's about 8 or 10 feet wide and goes from the ceiling to a window seat. then there's ollie, he's addicted to Ritz crackers. even Betty Ford Clinic deemed him incapable of being rehabilitated with regards to this addiction.  slaph

so as the evening wears on, the sun begins to sink in the west. the light takes on that golden hue. and they start. it starts with caleb honking...loudly.  hmm he wants one last cuddle before bed. ollie starts with his monologue... more specifically he pairs every word he knows with the word cracker: wanna cracker? gotta cracker? hava cracker? buya cracker? ollie cracker? ollie cook? ollie cook cracker? ollie crack? ollie wanna crack? ollie cook crack? wanna cook? cook crack? like-a crack?
 slaph me: honest officer, he means ritz crackers.  :deer:

meanwhile, i've got a cockatoo on my knee. he's mostly content to hang out chillin but occasionally he grunts quietly. this means 'pet me' but sometimes i'm focused. so i get a light beak bump. if i dont pet the cockatoo i end up with a friendly chomp on the forearm... how can a chomp be friendly? well, ya got me, i learn almost as well as a parrot and it only took one chomp to learn not to let it get past the beak bump.  wink1

while all this is happening, i have lil twiggy on top of her cage. twiggy has a boing hung above her cage for her enjoyment. but, being a quaker who's obsessed with ropes, she spends a large portion of her free time trying to drag the boing into the cage. she grabs it. pulls. pulls. pulls. it stretches, stretches, stretches... and snaps back suddenly! she lets out a startled squawk, and commences to chastise it loudly in her lil quaker voice.

and in ring number 4 we have the macaw. <sigh> he's generally a happy guy but heaven forbid ya go to bed hungry!  :deer:  so he goes from bowl to bowl to bowl snacking a bit here, munching a bit there. he has an outside the cage pellet bowl. two inside the cage dry mixes. and inside the cage bowl of mixed nuts, in the shell. and an outside the cage bowl of fresh fruits and veggies chopped fresh daily for his pleasure. he will continue going from bowl to bowl no matter how long it takes me to actually GET THEM into bed. but if it gets full dark and i'm still showing no sign of prying my hiney off the sofa, he starts encouraging me with: ya wanna go nite nite? time to go nite nite. lets go nite nite... GO NITE NITE... TIME TO GO NITE NITE!!!!!!!

and in the last ring of this exhausting circus there's lil marley. he's hanging out in his window. mimicking every. single. creature. he. sees. outside.  oh  he's really good at sad puppy... and unfortunately our neighbor has three dogs.  hmm  he is a pro at every wild bird call out there. and i'm not sure which of my neighbors has recently got a new pet velociraptor, but lately he's been doing that one too!

every nite we follow this routine. every nite.  oh
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:48:00 pm »

That sounds like heaven to me! I can just see it now. lol. I bet there is no privacy in your house too. Someone always voices their opinion -- and their's is always right. lol
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:51:19 pm »

:laugh:I just adore your stories Tozie!! 2funny2 I can just hear all the different rainforest calls along with the dog, velociraptor, pig duck...maybe not those last two, but I can just hear it!  lol

Our routines are quite unique with each of us and the flock who allows us to share a small piece of our home with them, aren't they? Too funny what you, me and everyone else who loves being owned by their birds goes through everyday & can't wait to get home and do it all over again.  hugu

This is a good topic thread for each of us to tell about a typical day/night in the life of our birds and us.  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:13:39 am »

That is hilarious.  I get the beak bump from Zuri too.  And Skittles doing the nite nite routine, Yoshi does too.  One of my friends stayed over one night and she can talk...well she would not stop and Yoshi kept at the nite nite louder and louder till she said...Did he just tell me to shut up?  I said ya basically.  She is like...ummm  confused  I don't even know how I feel about that.   lafin2
The velociraptor-  laugh  And don't forget you have Cassie there too at the window. 
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:55:45 am »

Yes indeed, the nightly routine can get obnoxious if they are ignored! LOL!

Ours usually start around 7:30, now that it's lighter later. Max, our wee conure starts with "lemme out", "out, out, out!" in his scratchy high pitched voice, along with Powder, U2, doing his "quiet" scream of "ahhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh" over and over, increasing in loudness the longer I let him stay on his play-gym. All the while Higgy, CAG, is saying "I'm ready, ready, ready, wanna go?, I'm ready" over and over. All the while in the background I hear the beautiful whistling and chirping of Mojo, the keet. Yup, it's bed-time.

I get a long sleeve shirt on as Max won't step up onto a bare arm and Max walks up my arm onto my shoulder, then I pick up Powder on my left hands and we go to their bed-room. Max Steps down onto his cage and goes in, Powder step onto the perch on his cage door and I close it. I turn back to Maxs' cage and pull is cover up & over, leaving the entire front open, all the while he's saying "thank-you! Thank-you!" "T.V. on!" over and over. I turn their T.V. on, yes, they have their own T.V. - it's RV sized, cable ready, colour & 6 by 8 inches. Then I tell Powder to eat his snacks, and tell them I'll be in later to turn off the T.V., all the while Max is still saying "Thank-you" to which I have been responding "you're welcome" the entire time. Finally I turn out their light and make sure the night light is on, make a Kissy noise to which Max responds with his own kissy noise & silence falls into the room, all you hear is the crunch of snacks being eaten. While I'm taking care of Max & Powder hubs takes Higgy to our room where his cage is & turns our T.V. on, and sets up his snacks along the top of his cage. In exactly one hour I MUST be back into Powder & Maxs'  room or Powder will let out a few BLASTS to let me know it's time to turn off their T.V., when the T.V. is turned off I'll say "Night night, sleep well, I'll see you in the morning", Kissy noise.........now I linger a minute or two listening to the gentle grinding of beaks.
I cover Mojo and Henry on the way out of the bird room and all is quiet for the night.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 06:13:21 am »

i'm sure i'll be able to come up with new stories for ya'll <stops typing for 10 mins cause cockatoo expresses desire for scritches>

yeah, debra, my house is NEVER quiet... even at nite. if a parrot isnt expressing him/herself then the dog it outside yelling at someone or THE BOY (aka my son) is in his room rummaging around or something. and nope, i wouldnt have it any other way.  loveuk

oh yeah, Nakia, i have PLENTY of barnyard sounds too. ollie does a great donkey bray, caleb does the goose honk, and marley... <rolls eyes> that bird is just a GREAT mimic... i keep checking him for grey feathers and a red tail! he does a great tree frog, oh and he mimics the other birds in the house too.  hmm  i'll have caleb start his 'omg i see a male' alarm and suddenly its in stereo  oh ...

and yeah ditty he does a spectacular Cassie impression. that is great, your parrot told her its TIME TO GO.... next thing ya know lil yoshi will be telling people 'okay now, ya dont have to go home but ya cant stay here!'

that is great sondra!   confused  i think caleb needs his own tv... but i dont have cable... so i guess i'll have to get him his own dvd player too.  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:01:28 am »

Your home sounds like a fun and noisy place to be Beth  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
Pages: [1]   Go Up