Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 05:18:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ollie

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ollie  (Read 461 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:36:02 pm »

My ollie-burd  loveuk is a yellow naped amazon. he's my grumpy green guy. Ollie is about 32yrs old (give or take). It is thanks to BP that i have my green guy. I was looking to add a bird to my flock of 3 back in 2010. i looked at a couple greys at the rescue here but was deemed unsatisfactory by them based on a technicality. I knew a lady here who ran a rescue up in New York (2000 miles away from my home here in Florida). She got in an older guy who was uh... difficult.... and he touched my heart. after pulling searching and trying to figure a way to get him here, i found a small animal transport service. they picked him up there and brought him to my door here. i will forever be grateful that they deemed unsatisfactory cause it paved the way for this wonderful guy who is so much a part of my world. He was ANGRY when he came here. he was the ORIGINAL ANGRY BIRD. I couldnt touch him unless bars were between us. i had to use a stick with a coke bottle taped to it to move him from place to place. But i accepted him for who he was and accepted that life would forever be like this. slowly over the last 3 1/2 years he's changed. and now, each nite he excitedly rolls on his back for us to finger wrestle together! he comes to sit with me on my sofa, even rolling over in my lap to play with me. i can sometimes get him to step on my arm and ride it to his cage. i can kiss him on top of his head and inhale his intoxicating amazon scent. He's happy. he laughs. he has a great sense of humor. one of his favorite past times is to set up ambushes for my son, so he can leap out and startle him. and ollie waddles away chuckling to himself like a mean old man who just stole a baby's lollipop.  dmblaf 

We are a flock of misfits, but together, abnormal IS THE NEW NORMAL.  loveuk

Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Linux User
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:45:25 pm »

What an inspiring story! He's beautiful. You must have a way with the angry birds to have brought him around to the way he is now. Goes to show what a little love and patience will do for a bird.
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »

thanks! 

i think its very much offering them the same trust we ask them to show us, accepting them for who they are, and simple patience. each of my flock is unique in one way or another. but i love them for who they are and accept whatever they have to offer with gratitude and respect.
Report Spam   Logged

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Debra
Administrator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Real name........Debra

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:47:54 am »

That's how we treat our cage aggressive Quakers. They are more comfortable on their cages with a hands off interaction. We respect this and they love us for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:09:33 am »

He is such a funny bird.  I love hearing his antics and his humor.   I think it was fate you two were brought together. 
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:45:25 am »

I too love hearing about & seeing old Ollie Burd.  hugu I remember you mentioning having to devise an arm shield to keep his swift beak at bay. I love how you can tell a story and make it super funny and interesting.  :twirl:

I have a Pionus who does not like to be held or picked up one least bit. And she's a hand fed baby not even a yr old. She is a funny girl and sure acts like a Mini Amazon which is what I've read more than once. Hot temper & all!! I will get some threads on all my birds when I find a minute.  stupid1
Report Spam   Logged
Sapphire
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 59

Real Name ..... Wendy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:03 pm »

What a lovely story! Ollie Burd is adorable  smile3 I know how difficult amazons can be and I admire you for your dedication! It sounds like your patience with him has totally paid off  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Codie, Yellow Crowned Amazon
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 06:36:50 am »

i think you're right ditty, it had to be fate. too many things fell into place for it not to be. and c'mon, 2000 miles away???  oh  yet we still got him here safe and sound. and he has the most AMAZING sense of humor! he absolutely cracks me up!

yup Nakia, we still use the lance for transportation most of the time ... he hasnt changed THAT much!  dmblaf  he still has a very deadly beak, tho he rarely breaks the skin when he bites now. because he knows he doesnt HAVE TO in order to get his point across... <snicker> get it? POINT  smile3

thank you Sapphire! omg yes! zons are DEFINITELY difficult creatures... they're just so darn temperamental! but that zon scent??? <SWOON> if i could bottle it, i'd simply BATHE in it and douse my bed and roll around in it.... oh uh, sorry  ashamed  i was having a moment  smile3  uh, yeah, i like that scent.  roll
Report Spam   Logged

Pinkbirdy
Super Moderator
Hahn's Member

Like my post 40

Terri

Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »

I love Him !!!!!!!! I was looking for a yellow nape like crazy [I ended up with a double yellow head]. I think its great when you can take a step back  [and their able to show who they really are]. I have a Bluefrnt old guy . Im only able to move him with a stick [he loves head rubs to]  smile3 Hes started climbing down on me and rolling on his back. I of course am{ crapping my pants ].I see no stick in sight  :oopse5: So I don't know what comes next [it all ends well]
Report Spam   Logged

Feb/March 2015
roxynoodle
Super Moderator
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 12

100 Posts Level 4 50 Posts
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:21:31 am »

I love Ollie!

And Pete says hi.
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:43:36 am »

I have a Bluefrnt old guy . Im only able to move him with a stick [he loves head rubs to]  smile3 Hes started climbing down on me and rolling on his back. I of course am{ crapping my pants ].I see no stick in sight  :oopse5: So I don't know what comes next [it all ends well]

laugh  yup, been there done that! ollie offered his foot for a step up for two months before i took that leap of faith and let him step on my skin... i was cringing the whole time!  :deer:
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: