Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Toy safety ingredient.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toy safety ingredient.  (Read 277 times)
rubyandmax
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 3

Max and Ruby, we found out both are girls!!

Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:07:22 pm »

Since I have to keep my eclectus busier than usual I am making more toys for him.  I want to make him some foraging toys which I think I succeeded with one tonight.  My question is whether the paper grass you can get for easter baskets is bird safe?  Right now I am cutting thin strips of coffee filters and cupcake liners.  If I could buy a ton of easter grass that will last a long time that would be great.   If not does anyone else have any suggestions?  towel  Thanks  roll
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:14:19 am »

It's plastic and stretches, I wouldn't use it because if it gets wound around a toe, leg, wing, neck you could end up with a bird losing a body part or dead. Buy an inexpensive shredder and shred paper, newspaper is safest - don't use the ads they put in the newspapers as they add chemicals to it. You can find bags of shredded paper at the Dollar Tree & other stores where everything is a dollar. Loofas make great foraging toys as do the heavier tubs you can get from Fed-X & the UPS stores & they have covers on each ends!

Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:49:20 am »

they sell paper easter grass and its fine. its designed to be in contact with food (aka easter candy) so i'm pretty sure they use food quality dyes. i've used it before... as a matter of fact, i still have some from last year. it went on clearance at my local walmart for 25 cents a bag.  smile3  i snagged a few bucks worth!  wink1 ya should've seen me digging thru the HUGE bin, almost as tall as me, searching for the PAPER grass and tossing aside the PURTY sparkly stuff.  roll

there's also the good old fashioned paper shredder, not the ones that cross cut, to make your own paper shreds... i do that too.  roll
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:47:00 pm »

Sorry Tozie, didn't know about the paper Easter grass!!   :oopse5:  Learn something new every day!! LOL!!  Must be what happens when you get OLD!  :oldg:
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:36:09 am »

hugu  no worries sondra, i think my post came off snarky but i didnt mean it that way, i was more being specific that the plastic is NOT acceptable.  ashamed  but ya know how tone doesnt alway come off right in print.  :oopse5:

hugu hugu

p.s. i'm thinking its been a while since you've MADE an easter basket for a youngster. so it makes sense that ya havent seen the new stuff   wink1   ... they even have eatable easter grass.  :deer: vomit   BLECH! its HORRID.  roll
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »

I try real hard not to inflict emotion into a post, I learned a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago that I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know what kind of mood a person is in when they are posting, so nope, your post didn't come across as snarky. LOL! (man, that was a really long sentence!)

You are correct, I don't know about the new stuff out there. I still use the plastic stuff from when my son was you, just store it away after I make a basket for my granddaughter. Maybe I'll just go out and buy all new stuff so she can take her basket home with her...........let her parents deal with what to keep & what to throw out.  thinkin3

Report Spam   Logged
rubyandmax
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 3

Max and Ruby, we found out both are girls!!

Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:35:47 am »

Thank you all for your help.  I have taken the collar off of Cash.  He hated it and was not acting right.  He seemed depressed and was screaming more.  It messed up his balance too.  After 5 days I took it off.   cwy  But I do want to keep making foraging toys for him.  He destroyed the first egg carton one I made.  He is back to his normal self again.  So with that, can anyone tell me what they think of  KINGS CAGES NO STRESS parrot bird cage toy toys calming homeopathic natural.  I wonder if this might help his nerves.  Or anything else like that that will help calm him.  Right now I am giving him a little bit of chamomile tea and it seems to be helping.  Maybe I should just stick with that.  THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH.
 hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:00:32 pm »

Has he been to the vet? You can ask your vet about giving him something like bird Prozac (not the name). There are many meds that act like Prozac & they are only $30 -$45 a bottle which lasts about 2 months or so. The one drawback is you MUST wean them off the med once it's in their system, you can't just stop giving it to them. Most over the counter products don't work for very long. Like the tea, it only works for 15 minutes tops.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: