Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:14:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Is this normal?? SO WEIRD.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this normal?? SO WEIRD.  (Read 194 times)
GlitterParrot
Hatched Grade 'A' Egg
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »

So I'm a little bit concerned here. I've always wanted a cuddly bird. However, this little guy is SO cuddly it's a bit scary. He cuddles into my lap and then when I lift the sheet, his eyes are closed, he's lying on his face and he's still. Feet behind him, LIMP. He literally looks dead. I actually was afraid that he cuddled himself to death just now, because he insists on being under the comforter and insists on wedging himself snugly in, face first. Then I touch him to make sure he's ok, and after a moment he wakes up and is completely fine. It's so weird!! It's like he's completely asleep and needs to be shaken awake... but is this normal?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:14:49 pm by GlitterParrot » Report Spam   Logged

Music is my life.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »

Gee, I don't know. How old is he? It could be that he's exhausting himself with all the handling and being in a new home and all. Get him a happy hut and see if he'll snuggle in that.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 04:06:48 pm »

i've heard of caiques who are so cuddly. i can imagine a conure being that way too. they seem to have alot in common with caiques. i've heard of people freaking out to what they believe is a dead baby when its simply a REALLY RELAXED one.   :tub: dmblaf  i would be careful with the under comforter cuddling. on a different forum there have been two conure deaths in the last six months from cuddling under comforters. in each case the parront dozed off as well and accidentally smothered the lil one. with  your lil one being so young (i believe you said he's under a year old?), it doesnt surprise me that he wants to get into nice cuddly dark places that would remind him of a nest box.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
GlitterParrot
Hatched Grade 'A' Egg
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:23:56 pm »

Hmm yeah. Sondra, he's 7 months old. I'm going to do just that and get him one of those furry huts. And I've been very careful about the comforter snuggling because I don't want him to have an accident. But the thing is, when he's not climbing down my shirt to climb into a hole, he's on the bed running around me trying to find a good spot in my shirt to snuggle. He tried sleeping behind me, but I didn't let him do that just in case I forgot or moved wrong and I obviously don't want to crush him. So if I don't let him snuggle one place, he's doing it in another. Or trying to get me to kiss him, preening my hair or tickling my ears or neck. He's been tickling me and then I laugh and then he tries to climb IN MY MOUTH. The heck? And then he tumbles onto my lap and quacks in frustration.

Report Spam   Logged

Music is my life.
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »

Give him one or two places he can snuggle on you, for example a large shirt with a large pocket, or a fleece sling you can wear that can be attached around your waist as well as your neck so it doesn't swing around when he's in it, or even one of those around the waist purses (make a fleece one so you can wash it). Have a box tipped on it's side where he can go and relax, put a small fleece blanket in it and put a sign on it that says occupied when he's in it - just be sure to turn the sign over when he's back in his cage.
Report Spam   Logged
GlitterParrot
Hatched Grade 'A' Egg
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:34:16 pm »

Oh such a good idea! Definitely will try some of those. Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Music is my life.
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:14:05 am »

That is so cute that he wants to snuggle so much. I do know that GCCs love the huts.  :twirl:

My Peta has two of them, she will periodically use one then the other at different times. She always sleeps in one of them. Since she was 5 1/2 years old when I got her I don't really know if the snuggling is a natural trait of young Green Cheeks. Peta loves to snuggle up against my neck & hair at times when she is on my shoulder, but she has not tried to crawl into or under my clothing or covers. Could be due to her age now & she doesn't feel the need to snuggle in a nest still.

Wonder if this is a security feeling he does for himself to adjust to his new home. He definitely loves you already, but maybe in his little sweet mind he is wondering when you may disappear and he never sees you again. So he thinks if he snuggles close & stays there, you won't leave him alone & scared. Just a thought, I have nothing to base this idea on except being a baby he will want to have his Mommy close. hugu
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: