Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:30:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

How about an update on everyones birds?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about an update on everyones birds?  (Read 336 times)
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:00:09 pm »

I'll go first. Powder is just as crazy as always. We are weaning him off his meds as he's been on them for a few years now & I want to see what he's like without them. I'm told the meds loose effectiveness after a while so I don't think we'll se much change in him & that's OK as he's mellowed out since he started the meds.

Higgy is a funny guy, always trying to get attention by hanging from the top of his boing by one foot while whistling or calling for George (hubs). He makes sure everyone knows when he's hungry and just exactly what it is he wants.  lol

Max has just gone through a HEAVY molt, green, blue and grey feathers all over the place. Now he's full of pin feathers and is more grumpy than ever. I feel for him as he won't let anyone touch him, man he's gotta itch like crazy!

Henry(etta) is sitting on her 4th clutch, she is laying, sitting, and laying again, and again & again............sigh. She scares the diddle out of us because we are worried about egg-binding.

Mojo is molting also, but he's a happy guy and spends his days singing away.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:33:45 pm »

Nut is good. Screaming a lot, as always. I think she is hormonal...But she is still sweet as ever, taking naps with me all the time. She will also take naps with Noah, on the side of his crib, as if she is looking after him.

Clover (parrotlet) is also good. Still cant get her out of her cage territorial-ness with me (she is just fine with Nut). But once she is out, she is THE sweetest little parrot. She went with me to the Denver Pet Expo recently, and did SO GOOD! Didn't try flying away, or biting anyone. When she got tired, she went into my flannel pocket and slept HAHA!  loveuk Let anyone hold her and pet her. She even said Hi to Shorty Rossi (Pit Boss, Animal Planet). But she too is going through a molt, and had pinnies all over her. Luckily she lets me scritch her, all while making what I call "Baby Parrot" noises...Sounds like a baby parrot when they just ate and are contently full  loveuk

Nut and Clover will now often sleep right next to each other at night. No more than an inch apart. Which is absolutely ADORABLE!! I'm so glad they get along cuz Nut needed a friend.
Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:36:32 pm »

Gizmo is doing really well now that he's by himself here with my husband and I. He has calmed down alot, and though still very much hands off, enjoys sitting on top of his cage when time allows-or with me on the couch while I'm on the computer. (He can't be out unsupervised anymore because of our cats. But he doesn't seem bothered that he gets alot of in cage time.

Mom and Dad still have Scooter and Skittles. The 3 baby conures are doing great, and have been dubbed Taz, Ollie and Sparky. They are very sweet little babies and it has been fun to see photos of them growing up! Skittles is as mean as ever and territorial, but she's doing as well as the little heathen can. Scooter's hormones are calming down and he's back to being the cuddlebug to my parents he usually is. He is the best dad to those babies, and constantly is in there preening them and showing them how stuff works!

And uh....that's about it!  lickit

edited to add in the pups, cats and sugar gliders.

The cats are as obnoxious as ever, but doing well. The sugar gliders are as freaking adorable as ever, and are doing great! They are almost full grown now.
Flint, our american eskimo pup is doing fine, albeit extremely hard headed and a pain in the rear...

Maiya was doing well up until last week when some scumbag decided to poison her...We had to euthanize her last wednesday....We miss her so much.

We brought home Rufus, a 14 week old Dutch Shepherd pup from an Alabama shelter on the 31st. A member and his wife on a dutch shepherd forum I'm on volunteered to pick him up for us on their way up to TN. (they live an hour from the shelter) We were thrilled and met them in Bristol, TN to pick up our new pup. He has been an absolute Godsend and joy to us. :)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:13:24 pm by BirdCrazy » Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:27:06 am »

what a great idea, sondra!

i'm glad to hear everybirdie is doing good.  hugu

my flock is also doing well. nothing in the world better than a well worn routine.... i LIKE my rut, it fits us well.  roll

so on to the particulars...

skittles is... well, a stereotypical mature macaw. moody as heck and cute as the devil! one day he's all cuddled up to my head with his wing wrapped round my head, the next he's trying to rip off my appendages. each month i'm more and more convinced that he's actually a female. but without eggies, we'll never know for sure. he's gotten huge weighing in at around 1300grams and about 40 to 42 inches from head to tail. he could easily be mistaken for a greenwing if not for the wide yellow bands on his wings!  dmblaf

my lil marley is typical marley. ten foot tall and bulletproof! his flights had grown in and i was once again trying to teach him boundaries instead of clipping him. well after 3 close calls with caleb and 3 with skittles, snip snip. and all is normal again. he can glide but looses altitude quickly. he's always been a very strong flier. other than that he's normal. hangs out in his window watching the world go by, occasionally yelling at it for being rude!

twiggy is adapting well with her beak. its still not right. but she eats all fresh foods and dips any hard foods she gets in her water. she hangs out on her cage with the occasional flight round the house. but never lands anywhere but her cage unless she's been spooked. she builds her nests with umpteen ropes.

ollie is...ollie. he had a little adventure last nite. went to climb up an unsecured cage grate that was leaning against the wall... yup you guessed it. it fell over on him and there i had a smushed ollie. he was fine, it was a small light one. he just laid there on his back with the grate on top of him  looking round like "  huh4  well crap! "  lol  once i was done with my heart attack, i was laughing at him. he's still a porky guy. he's such a foodie.  loveuk

and caleb. yup he's the same too. he does his thing there in his own room. he still picks at his chest but i keep his diet high in vitamin A rich foods to keep his immune system up. and he keeps the wound clean. he hides it from me most of the time and gets very upset if i try to move the feathers so i can see it. he's a real cuddle bug. loves to sit with me. and still hates all male people. he gets all poofy when drew's here. i dont even try to let him and drew be in the same room anymore. i kept getting bitten from displaced aggression issues. so now, when drew is here, caleb is in his room. and i think caleb likes it that way. its his safe zone. he doesnt get nearly as agitated as he did.

as for the pups? darla and buffy are fine. they are certainly partners in crime most of the time!
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:29 am »

I forgot about the pups!!

T-bird (as I call him) is almost 7 months old & all muscle. He's a mutt of unknown origin, curious about the world around him, thinking he's as big as Hooch. He has his squabbles with Hooch at 3 times his weight and yes, he's drawn blood. Yesterday Hooch drew blood and we have a nice hole in the skin on T's neck, nothing major, but it still scared me. Thank goodness this isn't a dominance issue as it would be constant then, but an issue over toys and bones. Hooch thinks everything is hers and she doesn't want to share & when T finds something to chew or play with Hooch tries to take it. T is still a playful pup, full of energy, and Hooch is almost 5 and needs more naps. It's funny to see T go over to Hooch and try to make her get up and play, he nudges her face and neck, play bites on her neck and feet, all the while making whining noises and yipping to try to get her up.  laugh

As much as they play you'd think Hooch would be slim & trim, but she's not in the least. She weighs in at a whopping 135 pounds!  bugeye She's healthy, playful, and loves everybody, so all's well in her world.   :angel:
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »

My guys are fine. Lola is starting puberty (Cuban females start very early for their size) so the poor thing doesn't know which way is up right now. yay. Lucifer is still the hell spawned troublemaker he always has been. Crush is my little orange carbuncle, always wanting to be pressed tightly against my neck.

Due to zoning issues, Vinny and Vi are now at a facility in South Carolina and Ricky and Lucy are in California. Hopefully they will settle in quickly and resume their lives cwy. My aviaries have been dismantled. I'm done fighting, I don't have any fight left in me
Report Spam   Logged

Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:45:49 am »

fid update: zienna and aspin my green cheeks are doing good,they are starting to get back to their normal after losing Mojave. I cant handle either one of them without being bitten bloody and bruised. I still love them and give them treats and cook for them. zienna has an amazing bond with my husband and it makes me happy to see that. aspin is very protective of zienna now and sometimes attacks us if we try and touch her..gotta love those teenage boy hormones  wink1  sidne is as happy as a quaker can be. she is also very bonded to my husband. she gets jealous very quickly. she flies and attacks me if I get to close to him. she has taken to attacking the dogs now to. I can understand why she came from a bad place but is in a much better place now then she was when we got her nearly 3 years ago. apache our special needs orange faced(mutation type of peach face)lovebird is doing great here. he doesn't like to be handled and will fly away but sometimes he does let us pick him up and he never bites which is great. he is a little over a year old now. zienna will be 2 in feb. aspin will be 2 in july sidne will be 6 dec. 30. we had 4 budgies but last week I let 2 go to a disabled lady who was very lonely. I felt bad for her as she doesn't have anybody to love on like I do. I have gotten many updates on them and it honestly makes me feel good I can help somebody. chico and Chiquita are my two remaining budgies. Chico is a year old and Chiquita is 2. cant handle either of them but that's ok. chico was adopted from petco as he was a surrender as the people said he ate to much and was to loud for them to handle. Chiquita was going to be released into the wild so I stepped in and said I would take her. when she was brought to us she was in a paper bag. I got her into my house as soon as I could and got her out of that bag. I cried for hours after that,it broke my heart that she was treated that way. my dogs are doing well. sereniti is 4 1/2 and hexi will be 4 on the 20th. they have grown up so fast and into beautiful girls. hexi still has poor vision and her vitiligo is spreading faster then we thought. having a dog with gluten,chicken and peanut butter allergies makes it hard to find good food and treats she can have. sereniti has taken to snoring and its cute most of the time except when I am trying to fall asleep. my fish are doing well I think I saw baby cichlids in my big tank but don't want to mess around with the place the eggs were until I know the babies are there and parents wont harm them. my two netherland dwarf rabbits are doing well. I haven't posted about them here either as we just got them this last summer. justice is a blue eyed white(bew). they are very very hard to come by.he has already been shown and placed first in his group so I cant wait to show him myself next year. my girls name is libertie. she is a broken blue(mostly white with blue/gray markings). she isn't showable because she doesn't have enough color. she weighs in at a whole 1.78lbs and justice is 2.58 lbs. both are very sweet. they just had their first vet check ups a couple weeks ago. also after much thought we decided to get another green cheek conure,we had been looking into a 4th green cheek before Mojave passed away.  my heart has been aching and empty since I lost Mojave. I saw an add for a young semi tame green cheek and I called on it and we ended up bringing home a beautiful pineapple green cheek. he has already been vet checked and dna sexed. he is 10 months old today. I haven't posted it on facebook or anywhere else yet so other then bfids and nhbirdmom nobody else knows. I wanted to share it here first before I posted it on facebook,which I plan to later today.  the whole drive there and back to get him I felt a huge sense of guilt. but after talking to tozie and bfids they made me feel it was ok to take in another bird. I will post pictures of him here when I get photobucket to work.
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »

clap  Congratulations on the new additions!! I can't wait to hear what his name is!
Report Spam   Logged
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Level 5 Search Level 4
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »

hmmm am I too late?

Tumbler/Dart (GCCs) are doing well.  got them some new cages and now they are permanently split up to avoid any sort of babies in the future!  Tumbler is just as super sweet as ever even though my available time for the fids is seemingly less and less as school takes up so much MORE and MORE.  luckily the love to just hang out with me while I study.  Dartly has reached a new level of trust with me, he's never been a people bird but lately he will step up after a bit of back and forth flying and then pretty much on command each time thereafter (within the same day) without balking.  He no longer bites me first then runs!!! this is a good improvement even though it is still clear he'd rather be anywhere but with me. 

Andi (Illiger's) is doing great as usual! Her almonds are back in the stores so she's getting her super awesome extra treats again and she loves it!  she made a new friend this summer with my school friend (aka short term pet sitter) and will take treats from her and talk to her when she normally only talks to me. 

Apollo (Tiel) also got an accidental upgrade! that was fun!!! After the move last year and how poorly he took it i was worried about the acceptance of a new cage and a totally rearranged room but he seems to LOVE it!  He readily steps up and will sit on my shoulder while I study.  THe dogs still freak him out though so they have to be outside or kenneled during those times.

Drakah (older pup) is doing okay.  we've had a few scares this year with her, one where I thought i'd have to put her down actually… but it got better and she's on a new regiment of pain meds and seems to be doing fantastic!!! better than i've seen in years!

Koda (younger pup) is doing WONDERFUL!  we do off leash dog parking on a regular basis and he's a frisbee fiend who has turned into just the best dog i could ever ask for.  he's recently shown me i can trust him out in the house unkenneled so I am back to freedom for the pups all day which helps me feel better as I HATED kenneling them when at times i'm forced to be gone for 10h at at time!  Never an accident and only one destroyed garbage can in over 2 months!  Both pups are happier and so am I!  He also doesn't bother the birds and has become quite the home protector while i'm away!

Me (if you want aren't a fan of FB) - I'm finishing up the fall semester in 11 days and will only have 2.5 more years to go!  Seems so long but the end is in sight!  I'm facing some tough decisions being so far away from family that can help me out with the animals so some post school residencies are up in the air but I am really enjoying what I am doing and am so grateful for what I have been able to achieve in the past year.  My main mantra is *** eyes on the prize ***  I do apologize for not being around so much still, but really I don't even have time to sleep most days!  most of my "fun" things are gone for now, but it's the end goal that matters.  no more xbox, far less sports, a lot less bird and pup time, and a lot more studying!  Even my summers are spent doing school work so my only real "free" time is Xmas break and that's spent working more to help pay bills the rest of the year… guess that's the only good thing about retail, more hours in the winter! HAHA! glad to see you all are still here and moseying around… i do check in periodically just don't post much.  much love all around!  peace
Report Spam   Logged

Canary Winged Parakeet - Kiwi 2006-2012.  fly high baby boy, i miss you.
Normal Green Cheek Conure - Tumbler (4yo)
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Dart (3yo)
Illiger's Macaw - Anduin (15yo)
White Winged Parakeet - Mango (2yo)
Normal Cockatiel - Apollo (unknown)

Raised in Pennsylvania... now living on the outskirts of Kansas
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51:35 am »

Oh I am so excited this thread is still going!!

Lorek, buy up those nuts and freeze them! I wait until the almonds in the shell (sold bulk) go on sale and buy them up and freeze so Higgy has his almonds all year. I also freeze a few pounds of walnuts as I only give them sparingly because of their fat content.

Our birds are all doing well. Higgy (CAG) has been going through toys which is good. Powder (U2)is almost totally off his meds and doing well. He still screams when we leave the room, but it's not that awful panic screaming anymore & only lasts for up to a half an hour. We'll keep working with him and he'll get there. Max (HMC) has started flying about his play-gym, so much fun to see him fly. He also talks in his sleep at night which is cute. He still loves boxes, so I use any small box we get as a toy. The Dollar Tree has some real small boxes in with their party supplies (they hold 2 rings - really small boxes). I add a couple of treats, put them on the shelf next to his play-gym, he flies over and shreds them. These keep him busy for hours! When he's not busy shredding his boxes he will try to poop on hubs when he walks under his play-gym, he poops and laughs such a belly laugh that he cracks us up! Maxs' play-gym is attached to a wall and 6 + feet up that wall.
Henry(Tiel) has become a chronic layer and we are fighting eggs. I am so afraid she will become egg-bound! We have one more thing to try before we are forced to seek Lupron treatments.
Mojo (budgie) is his sweet self who sings and entertains himself all day. Mojo is loves his toys and millet!
The ferrets are doing well, they are both going through their winter fur loss. The are 14 & 11 now and still as playful as ever, stealing anything we leave in their line of vision. Our female LOVES Hooch (bullmastiff) and will curl herself up under Hooch's chin, in her paws and watch the world go by, Hooch just lets her be and will nap with her. I know these fuzzies are old so I pay special attention to their health and fur & skin condition, so far we are lucky!
Hooch may be preggers.  bugeye I sure hope not! T (mutt) may have gotten to her. After the first of the year we will take her to the vet for a sonogram to see if it's another false pregnancy or not. T is one crazy puppy (9 months old next week). He went nuts seeing snow for the first time, running around our yard leaping into the air trying to snatch snow flakes out of the air. He entertains himself well, tossing toys for himself, doing laps while tossing toys or stealing a blanket and running full tilt around the yard. He is NOT trustworthy around the birds so he doesn't get to be near them unsupervised. He also doesn't understand that Powder and Higgy WILL hurt him.
Report Spam   Logged
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Level 5 Search Level 4
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »

what kind of Pup is T?
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »

He's a mixed breed, we're thinking he's got husky and shepherd and possibly mastiff  or hound in him. He's red/blonde, skinny, broad nosed and scared of everything except other dogs. He's very aggressive where dogs are concerned, even ones he plays with regularly. I'm thinking it's a male dominance thing which will greatly decrease when he's neutered after the first of the year. Our vet has gone back to waiting as close to animals being full grown to spay or neuter.
He's terrified of the floor in the house. All summer the dogs stay in the shop, then they come into the house in the winter, but not T, he won't walk on the floor. I have got him used to the floor, on his own, terms, then we got busy in the shop & it was REAL warm so the dogs stayed in the shop, now he won't come back in the house. I'll start training him again with going into the house, but he's slow to accept new things. You should have seen him when we turned on the pellet stove, it took him 3 weeks before he would even get within 5 feet of it.  lol
Report Spam   Logged
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Level 5 Search Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 12:14:04 pm »

that is pretty odd!!! what a sight to see that must be!  he must be a big dog yet he is scared of his own shadow LOL  ah well, we love them all the same!
Report Spam   Logged

Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:46 am »

Sondra we named the new green cheek Agave Sonoran. he is doing well. I promise to post pics of everybody soon.
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 06:01:20 am »

Thanks for the update! I am looking forward to pics! I'm so excited for you and hubs, Agave Sonoran is in a GREAT home!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: