Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 06:48:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Old Dogs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Dogs  (Read 111 times)
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »

I've been thinking about posting some stuff that I'm dealing with right now, so here goes.

So, my Fritz [dachshund] turned 17 on April 29 of this year.  Things are, well, going downhill, and kind of fast.  I suspect he is blind, and not a little deaf.  He drags one side as if he has had a stroke.  He still eats well, though he sleeps a lot.  That is, he sleeps a lot till nighttime.  No matter what time I turn the lights out, he commences to start walking around, sometimes getting disoriented.  One morning, a while back, I kept hearing something, and he had walked into the corner between a bookcase and the wall, and didn't know how to get out.  He has chewed all the hair off his back.  He barks at nothing, mostly at night.  I think he has dementia, to tell the truth.  And yet...I feel like I simply cannot end his life for him, as he doesn't seem to be in pain, he's just dotty as hell.  I find myself checking him at times to see if he's alive.  I never expected for him to last as long as he has.  It's hard to watch.  It just doesn't seem that long ago that he was the hale and hearty pup who would snatch the wee-wee pad and take off down the hall, or chew the end of my chair rocker.  And God help the black shoe left in his reach.  I know this sounds awful, but sometimes I wish he'd just simply go to sleep.  I feel like I'm tearing up, so better stop.  I just needed to vent a little.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:20 pm »

Our last Doxie, Nikki, passed recently so I know how you feel. She also would get up at night & roam, but also in the day to pee & poop, sometimes she would actually go outside to do her business. She did have good days though. We also would go check on her and have to actually touch her because her breathing was so shallow - man would she jump and scare us!  hardlaf

Just keep loving Fritz and dealing with his quirks for as long as he's not showing signs of pain. Sometimes it's a real pain that they are messing in the house and getting into places they would normally find their way out of (like a shirt!), not to mention sounding off at inopportune times (really, it's 3 AM!), but they are our pains in the butt. Find the joy in the time you have left with him and I'll say a prayer that he passes the same way our Nikki passed, she went to sleep and didn't wake up ( my only consolation ).

(((HUGS)))
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »

I had a Keeshond that lived to be 21. She was an ornery diva in her young days and kept my 5 danes in line. She outlived all of them. When they passed on I had them cremated and buried the ashes under our orange tree. When Odin died, she started taking naps under the orange tree, I guess it was appropriate that she went to sleep under that tree with her head in my lap. OK, now I'm tearing up cry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: