Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 06:19:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Glutton

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Glutton  (Read 157 times)
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:33:23 pm »

Poor Si!  Remember that he weighed nearly 40 lbs. when I adopted him in January.  So he is on a diet dog food, Purina One Weight Maintenance.  The vet sadi only one cup [approx. 8 ounces] a day.  So he was still hungry, so I had started giving him a little more. He appears to be getting a waistline now, instead of looking like a walking ottoman.  But he has turned into a pig!  I guess it's the beagle nature finally coming through.  Usually they get fed once a day, usually late in the evening, they wouldn't eat in the morning.  Well, yesterday, I had to work late, so before I left, I gave the dogs a half portion, I am also tending to my daughter's two dogs this week, as they are away in Indiana because my son-in-law's granddad passed away.  2sadk
It was lucky for them I did, because I was very late last night.  The poor things would have perished. :ugstpd:

So since I am home today, I decided to try it again.  Si bolted his like he would never eat again, and rushed Jax and tried to steal his too!  So after I rescued Jax's food, I gave Si some more, by golly tonight he won't get as much as usual.  Shoot, I don't know if he's really hungry, or just being a beagle.  Can't have no fat dogs around here any more.  Link was overweight, and I think it contributed to his death.

But I have never seen a dog eat so fast!  I might have to look into a different kind of bowl.  
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:22:36 pm »

He could have been one of those dogs that didn't get enough food when they were born & weaned. We had a Doxie like that. We were told he was 8 weeks old when we got him, when we got his papers he was more than double that when we got him, it sure explained why he was nothing but skin and bones - he was the runt, but turned out to be an exceptionally beautiful dog. He would swallow his food almost whole and charge the others for theirs so we fed him separately from the two girls who ate daintily. To this day Nikki eats like a lady one bite, chew, next bite, chew. LOL!
Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:45:11 pm »

You can give him extras of veggies if he is hungry.  Mine love baby carrots. 
The bowls for the ones that scoff it down work well.  (the slow down bowls)
Report Spam   Logged

BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »

This is what we use for Rusty. He wolfs his food down...being a deep chested dog we don't want him to develop a twisted stomach. This has really helped.
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:09:32 am »

Poor Si, it's gotta' be hard on a dog to be on a diet. hugu They don't understand why you won't give 'em all they want. sad8

My Ozzie, the sheepadoodle was starved before he came to live with me. sadboy3 He was 4 1/2 months old when the people brought him out to me. I took him outside to show him the yard & he began eating dry leaves even tho he'd already ate a bunch of my dogs' food inside. He also had 'One Helluva' diarrhea' problem which prompted a special diet til his stomach straightened out. His first vet visit at 4 1/2 mos. he weighed 18 lbs & was quite skinny. Now  at 10 mos. old he stands 26" tall & weighs 75 lbs. & is rock solid with muscles. smile3
Report Spam   Logged
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:09 pm »

This is what we use for Rusty. He wolfs his food down...being a deep chested dog we don't want him to develop a twisted stomach. This has really helped.

I bought a similar bowl at Petco yesterday, and it really works!  But I have never spent $12.00 for a dog bowl in my life before now! slaph
Report Spam   Logged

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:25:58 pm »

haha they are expensive but better than dealing with bloat right? 

We had one for Isis too cuz she used to scoff food like a crazed dog.  slaph

We used to have one for MJ when she had just come to us.  She was feral before us so she would eat till she puked literally and eat soooo fast.  So it really slowed her down as well.  Took her a while to finally come around and know there would always be food and water available to her.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: