Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:16:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Need input and feedback

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need input and feedback  (Read 199 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:46 am »

I want to know who uses a Hepa Air purifier, what kind is the best, and where did you get them. Mar and I have been on and off pretty sick for almost 2-1/2 months and after many treatments and methods to correct it have pinpointed it to most likely all the parrots in the house. Feedback/advice appreciated as I am trying to avoid drastic measures but am becoming beyond desperate.  I don't know if we have developed an allergy to them or what but feeling this way (both of us) for so long is affecting our mental and physical well being.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:06 am »

Get yourselves checked out for bird keepers lung ASAP. Here is the link for the purifier I use. I also have a UV sterilizing light in my AC unit that kills bacteria, fungus and many viruses

http://purerair.com/bird_dander_air_purifier.html
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

George, that purifier sounds great, except I can't afford one. I have found that through talking with people who have used a purifier similar to the one you suggest that a 20 inch square box fan with a 20 inch Hepa furnace filter ( about $10 to $20 ea) works just as well. They have tried both and use the box fan in their bird rooms as well as living and bedrooms (the purifier is given to family with dogs or cats). I use one in each room the birds spend time in and it works quite well. The better the filter the less you have to replace it, simply vacuum it off.

If you buy an air purifier opt for the one George suggests as most give off ozone which is bad for you, your flock and other animals.
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:33:55 pm »

Thanks for the input guys  hugu  Could not find the one Grey said here locally and needed one like RIGHT NOW.  We just got a large Honeywell 5-1 True Hepa that costed about $230.  Time will tell but I was desperate.  I am not so much worried about bird keepers lung, at least right now as most of our issues seem to be chronic sinus infections etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

Have you tried a humidifier? If you use one us a cool mist as they do not promote bacteria growth as rapidly as one that heats the water. Clean them with a white vinegar and water wash, or use a bleach and water rinse to wipe them out with. Sinus infections are nothing to fool around with, if not treated they can kill.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:28:00 am »

the one i have is a honeywell. i can tell the diff since its been broken. but honeywell is replacing it for me for free...well... i have to pay the shipping but they are giving me a new one!

Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: