Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:58:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Phoebe, CAG

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoebe, CAG  (Read 258 times)
Kelly
Protector of all things animal
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »

Kevin my Linnie went off to college with my daughter since she has an apartment and they are both doing well.
I had Sushi until a sudden illness brought us to the vet and she didn't make it. It's a chance with rescues but
I like to think she was very happy for as long as she was with me.
Fortunately that was the end of my sad days. I met a wonderful man, fell in love, got married, gained a step son (he was a sinle father since his divorce) and he appreciates my love of animals. Not the snakes but everything else.
And he bought us a CAG. Her name is Phoebe, she is amazing and I love her so much and so does he which makes me even happier although he was giving her Cheetos and Doritos. No more of that, we'll tiny bits but not the whole dang thing.
Photobucket isn't cooperating or I would post pictures, I will check back.
She hates a bath!!! I don't know what to do! I tried quiet minsters, spray bottles, a dish in the bottom of her cage( which is a macaw cage) a clear Pyrex baking pan with toys then treats, add a little water and nope, she wants nothing to do with it. It's coming up winter Nd I don't want her to have any dry skin or irritation issues,
Any ideas about getting her okay with it?
Showering is out, she hates the bathroom.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:40:55 am »

Congrats. on your new fiddie, Phoebe. She sounds adorable, I think CAGs are beauties awesome birds!  loveuk
And congrats on your marriage. It is so wonderful when you find someone who shares your love for your critters. My hubby doesn't care for my snakes either, but it doesn't keep me from keeping them. dmblaf

Sorry to hear Sushi didn't make it. I don't have any new ideas for you to try with showers. I don't own a CAG & all my larger parrots love the mister or the shower. Some on here  have CAGS & hopefully can give you some new ideas to try. Will look forward to pics when you can get them to work. I sure know about having trouble with photobucket not working sometimes. pullhair
Report Spam   Logged
Erithacus
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Apple User Windows User Level 4
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:30 am »

My grey hates shower too. I force mist her 2x a week. Whether she likes it or not, I ll force her to take a shower. It has become a routine for her and she accepted the force shower. She allows me to lift her wings to mist the under side. If I were to do that when I was not showering her, she would give me bloody bite.
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:51:28 am »

You can try using the spray bottle or mister again. This time use very warm water and as fine a mist as you can. Spray yourself and/or your hubs in the feet and LAUGH, then spray Phoebes feet, make sure you make a game of it and only do her feet and only 3 or 4 times. Do this for as long as it takes for her to be comfy, accepting her feet being misted. On the day she accepts her feet being misted give her legs a misting and repeat the process until you have worked your way up her body.  This will take a very long time to accomplish so please have patience, always end your sessions on a positive note, use praise and treats. Go slow and try to keep things fun.

To start you and your hubs could actually each have spray bottles and spray each other in front of her laughing and carrying on. You don't need to get close to her to spray her feet as the mist travels a fair distance. Watch that the mist doesn't get cold, cool(air temp) is OK but never cold. In the summer you can put Phoebe in a cage and use the hose with a mister setting on the nozzle out in the sun. Our CAG will accept this much easier than a shower or misting.
In the house you can also use a humidifier, cool mist is best as it doesn't produce bacteria like the warm/hot mist kinds. Try using a black or dark coloured pan of water in her cage rather than the clear with a couple of her favourite toys in it. A deeper takeout container might work.

Many times people will use a squirt bottle to "discipline" birds, especially during cage cleaning or if they are "too loud". I've heard of breeders doing it, pet stores, as well as owners. I'd love to wring their necks!!
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:48:24 am »

Congrats on the new Parrot!  clap
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:27 am »

You could try offering wet greens. She might be okay with leaf bathing
Report Spam   Logged

Kelly
Protector of all things animal
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 7

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »

Excellent ideas! I will try them, thank you all very much!
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »

congratulations!!!!  looking forward to pics!   thumb
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: