Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:50:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Romeo's diet

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romeo's diet  (Read 193 times)
Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:04 pm »

Okay, so I think I've had Romeo my GCC long enough to know her likes and dislikes.

Every morning we have breakfast.  I take her out of the cage and I give her a plate of her favorites which are :

1. Fresh green beans cut into little pieces.  She loves her green beans!
2. Fresh corn. When I say fresh I mean I cut it right off the cob. It's seasonal of course, fresh corn will soon be unavailable where I live.
3. A little fruit.  We tried Kiwi and she didn't like that.  She really likes this fruit called a prune/plum and she really likes grapes.  I have to cut them into very little pieces.

I tried broccoli, lettuce, sprouts, and green peppers.  She doesn't like them.

She likes banana peppers and jalapenos in small doses  but I don't know if those are good?  Are they too hot for a little digestive system?

After breakfast time she gets only pellets for the rest of the day (Kaytee Exact). I do not mix any seed with it.  She has no seed in her diet.

I bought a bag of unsalted peanuts.  I take them out of the shell and  usually give her  2-3 pieces a day.  The peanuts are a treat.  She grabs them out of my hand like they are a gift from heaven.  Is that okay to give everyday?

I guess my question is....Am I doing it right?   

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »

The green beans and corn are great, remember also that frozen veggies are flash frozen very soon after picking and retain most of their nutritional value. fruit should be in moderation as there are too many sugars for that little body to process. There is no such thing as a pepper too hot for a parrot: just be careful giving kisses after Romeo has had one. They are an excellent vitamin packed food. Lettuce is a comparatively nutritient poor food, spinach has high oxalates which can inhibit calcium absorption if overfed. Peanuts can be dangerous as they can be contaminated with fungi that can  create aflatoxins, they are also high in fat so feed very sparingly if you decide to offer them. Keep offering a variety of fresh veggies, don't write any off just because she didn't go for it the first time: Presentation can make them more appealing. Another way to get fresh foods in the diet is by making chop/mash/mush and birdie bread. There is a forum here on BP for cooking for the birds with several recipes for cooking for your birds. It is time consuming, but you can make enough to last for a month or more and freeze it.
You are on the right track ! Keep experimenting. One way to get her to try to eat something is to have her see you eatit first (or pretend to eat). Do not, however, allow her to eat from your mouth or lips
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:55:41 am »

George gave you great advice. Birds have a dry mouth so hot, spicey foods don't bother them. You can add cinnamon to her banana and apples, any spice we eat you can add to her food.  You might want to consider adding a small amount of sunflower free seed to her diet ( about a teaspoon and a half)  as this would be what she eats in the wild. Yes, some seed is good, a good seed is Sunscription as it is human quality. You might also want to switch her to a quality pellet such as either Zupreem or Roudybush which is more nutritious due to the way it is extruded when made.
Sweet potatoe, squash, kale, carrots, pasta and beets are also good foods to try. Never feed raw potatoes as it could kill or make her sick. Many folks cook a mash that includes beans, and veggies and they freeze it, some add greens and cooked pasta to it just before serving. Use ice cube trays to freeze the mash, pop out the cubes and put in plastic freezer bags to save room, and take out what you need for the day, heat add whatever you'd like and serve.

As George stated, keep trying different foods, it'll seem that you waste more than she eats, but with birds presentation is everything. One way to get her to try a new food is to roll a new food in a bit of seed. She will get a taste of the new food when she bites into the seed. Almond butter is also good for her.

You are off to a great start!  thumb I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well in her care and up-bringing!  hugu
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:31:07 am »

Good stuff guys  thumb  Here is some links that may help ya also.  http://buffaloparrot.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,4360.0.html  http://buffaloparrot.smfforfree3.com/index.php/board,12.0.html  http://www.buffaloparrot.com/parrotfoodrecipes.htm 

Grean beans are awesome BUT are also one of the most that contains pesticides.  Make sure to wash thoroughly.  Yes, on occasion seeds are good and hemp seeds are a super food once or twice a week.  You can get em cheep and fast at  http://www.nuts.com/search?q=hemp+seeds  Though there is debate regarding fruits and the sugars in them I think this is overratted as far as health in parrots.  They are natural sugars and are not as bad as refined/table sugar.  Of course our captive companions do not need as much as their wild cousins so moderation is still the way to go.  And yes Hot foods they do tend to love and they are very good for them and most spices are also safe though I wouldn't use garlic or onion powder/salt. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: