Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 04:53:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

My GCC only seems to poop outside the cage

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My GCC only seems to poop outside the cage  (Read 508 times)
Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:14:10 am »

Romeo, my GCC poops every time as soon as I let him out of the cage.  The paper in the bottom of the cage has been there a week and upon examining I see one (1) poop.

The cage is huge...30 X 30 X 49 ....He has all the room in the world inside that cage.

Is it normal for a GCC to hold it in and not poop in their cage?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:06:45 am »

no not normal but some birds will.  I have heard of that before.  How long is he in his cage holding it?  Does he at least let one go in the morning after he wakes up?
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:43:43 am »

I have a macaw that wont poop in his cage if he can help it. It IS normal for them to not poop in their cage over nite, so if this is his sleep cage and he's only in there a short time, that's not as worrisome. If they hold it too long they (like us not going for too long) can get sick, i guess like  poisoning themselves with the waste held too long.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:22:46 am »

My conure Bella will not poop in her cage if she can help it. Its their instinct not too poop where they sleep as it would attract predators in the wild. I read somewhere that conures do this more than other kinds of parrots.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

I work from home 2-3 days a week and when I'm home all day  (4-5 days a week)   it is almost always out of cage time. I put Romeo to bed at  9pm sharp and wake up time,  depending on the day,  is usually around 7:15am when I work from home and 5:00am on days I go in to work.  I put him on the top of the cage on the playpen and he poops every morning as soon as he gets out of the cage. He will pop on the playpen!

On days I go into work I put him back in the cage and he poops again when I get home and take him out around 6pm.

On days I work from home he'll poop anywhere when he feels like it when out of the cage.  On my computer keyboard, on my floor, on my counter top, etc.

He doesn't like to poop in his cage and also, which I personally respect, he has never pooped on me!  Not even on days when I am home and he has been sitting on my shoulder for hours.

Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:10 am »

sounds like it is just his thing then.  I would not worry unless he needs to be in his cage for a lengthy period of time.
Report Spam   Logged

wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »

yeah , since he has so much out of cage time (good for you , by the way!) he figures he can hold it til he comes out of his bedroom.  if you want to encourae him to use a newspaper or something instead of ....well, everything else.... when he poops say something like "on the paper" or "bombs away" so he will get that this phrase means pooping.  then you can hold him over a piece of news paper (say every 15 mins) and then when he goes, say your phrase and then cheer and praise like crazy.  he will see "oh, my human LIKES it when I poop on the paper!" and then aim to do it ONLY on the paper (in order to please you)  (make sure you have a playgym or perch nearby he can go to if he feels the need) he sounds very smart!
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:17 pm »

"Smart"?

Every day since I have owned Romeo I have been working with him and very gently saying his name "Romeo" over and over. A couple of times he's been like "rggRomeorggh' in a very gurgled almost unintelligible voice, but I knew he was working on it.

Well, just a couple of days ago I was working from home. It was mid afternoon and I put  him in his cage for a little "me" time after he had been sitting on my shoulder for hours. I had to take a conference call for work.

His cage is in the living room and I have my work set up on my dining table about 15 feet away (I live in a townhouse). I  freshened the food  and water dishes when I put him in.  I closed the access door  to the food bowl but forgot to latch it.  He was clearly watching me. 

It took him a matter of just a few minutes to figure out how to swing the food bowl out, climb out the cage to the floor and walk over to me. He climbed up my leg all the way to my shoulder.  I thought it was co cute... I said "Hi Romeo"  and he said his name back "Romeo" this time pretty clear.

Keep in mind I'm on a conference call!  I  never muted my speaker phone.

My Director at work says .. what was that?

I told the story to everyone on the line and got a great laugh.

He said ... "He's Hired...He starts Monday"

Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:28:14 pm »

dmblaf
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 08:11:50 am »

dmblaf
how sweet!!
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:58 pm »

Love it!  How smart they are!!
Report Spam   Logged

Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 08:31:44 pm »

wishforabird,

That was excellent advice you gave me!  worship

This morning I took Romeo out of the cage and brought him to my kitchen island (next to his favorite playpen/gym)  and put him on a newspaper. I said "go poop" and he immediately did.  I praised him and put him on my shoulder which is his favorite place to be.  Throughout the day today I repeated this.

He took a total of 8 poops on newspaper today.  Of course, there were a few mishaps as he loves to play on the floor under his cage, but, overall this worked out great!

I will keep this up and practice it on a daily basis.

Thank you so much ! handshappy

Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »

YAY!!!! he IS a smart bird!  that was fast!  I am so glad it helped, they are such great companions :)  the conference call story is awesome, you will have a lot more great stories as the years go by.. write them down and save them.
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:23 pm »

Got the results today from Avian Biotech International.

It's a girl.  Romeo is a Juliet.

Haven't decided whether to change the name?  It might be more appropriate though?

Any thoughts ....Romeo or Juliet?
Report Spam   Logged
Romeo
Newbie Budgie

Like my post 1

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:59:38 pm »

wishforabird,

I think the reason she took so quick to the paper is because:

1. She will not go in the cage, and
2. She will not go on me

So when I take her out in the morning I immediately put her on paper on the counter and  she has no choice but  to go there. I praise and praise like you said.  Throughout the day she sits on my shoulder a lot and I take  her over to the paper every 1/2 hour to an hour and said "go poop".  I'm not sure she gets the whole concept yet  but she won't poop on me and the paper is a neutral place.

I still have issues if she climbs down my arm and poops on the keyboard, yuckk and when she's on the floor. We're working on it though!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: