Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:26:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

What did I do wrong?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did I do wrong?  (Read 243 times)
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Combination Topic Starter
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:32 am »

So on sunday, murphy gave me a little nip.  bugeye I had thought that she was slipping off the towel that i had around my arm, becuase i couldn't function that day and didn't "know" how to wrap it around my arm. you all know why cwy and she grabbed onto me for like a second and stopped. Turned out to be a little more than a nip. It slightly broke skin and left a bruise. This confuses me. I know that they sense fear and all, but I was definitely less tense than the first time I had handled her. Aslo, she thinkin3 was so happy too (it seemed) She was happily looking at me saying "Murff!" she said that about 3 times. When she bit me, all i did was say "ow, that wasn't nice!" I didn't scream ow, didn't shake, didn't flinch, didn't cry (seriously, i didn't!! Little Mikey Sunshine is always shinin'!) nothing. I let it happen, and kept walking to the perch, where she then did not want to get off of me... which also confuses me. Lol. I Just don't get it.  pullhair I really hope the bird doesn't hate me, and me and Dittykinz think it was just a "I don't quite trust you yet" kind of bite. Oh well.. better luck next time i guess!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:14 am »

you did nothing wrong. Even the most experienced handlesr with the most laid back birds het parrot hickeys every now and then. They are badges of honor. If you want the pleasure of their company, you have to endure the pain their mood swings can bring. Remember, an overstimulated bird will bite just as a frightened, startled, hormonal, or downright mean bird will
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:55:01 pm »

Well said Grey  no5
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 02:58:02 pm »

Mike, being a teen with high hormone (all teens have high hormone) and being in the state of mind you were in you were asking for a nip. You didn't do anything wrong! Birds read a persons mood (I say they read minds) and go from there, so the nip didn't mean anything other than  "Hey! I'm here and I want your FULL focus on ME". When you work with birds, especially medium and large birds it's best to clear your mind of everything except for the bird you are working with. This is one reason you'll see us tell people to work with a bird in a quiet room with no other birds or people or pets present. In your case, it's best to have an experienced person with you simply because the birds are not yours.

Congratulations on your first beak bruise! You reacted PERFECTLY!  clap clap
Report Spam   Logged
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »

Oh yeah, I never handle the bird unless Thomas is there or mrs jensen is there. they bonded to Thomas actually. its strange that the bird can sound so happy and then it bites me. lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »

:weirdo3:When I first started working with Roscoe, who I might add has always been more than ready to get on my arm, he went through a stage of grasping my upper arm harder than he really needed to. That caused several bruises on my bicep, but he was trying to learn how much pressure he should use. He was still not sure enough in himself or in my holding ability.

I think by the way you describe Murphy's enjoyment of being with you, that she just wasn't sure of your holding her and she held on tighter than she needed to while stepping up. Had she hated you, you would have had no trouble reading her emotions. They are not usually subtle when they are mad or displeased. You are both still learning each other's way, habits & limits. You did great & I think the next time should go a bit smoother.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:07:34 pm by Nakia » Report Spam   Logged
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:19:20 am »

You have some great advice here. My Buddy is the sweetest, but sometimes all I have to do is break eye contact and I get a "Hey, I'm over here" nip. Remember that parrots are not domesticated. They remain truly wild and so their behaviors can be puzzling to us sometimes.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:51 am »

She bit me after she was already on my arm, but yeah I know what you mean Nakia, but she broke skin, so Idk.

oh yeah, I wasn't looking directly at Murphy when she got me, jades. I miss my Murphy!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: