Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:15:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Screaming

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screaming  (Read 230 times)
lorek
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 29

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Search Level 4
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:49:14 am »

Okay guys.. i need help.  Mango is screaming constantly now and its starting to really grate my nerves and make doing homework hard.  if i take him out he sits on my shoulder or a playstand and does the same thing, screaming in my ear.  in his cage he does the same thing.  im' getting fried  hmm  i don't know what to do.  with me or without me he screams.  i don't want to get another bird buddy for him.  i'm afraid they'd both scream incessantly.  its ear piercing nerve grating high pitching sqwacking, worse than my other 4 combined.  what suggestions do you guys have?   sadboy3
Report Spam   Logged

Canary Winged Parakeet - Kiwi 2006-2012.  fly high baby boy, i miss you.
Normal Green Cheek Conure - Tumbler (4yo)
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Dart (3yo)
Illiger's Macaw - Anduin (15yo)
White Winged Parakeet - Mango (2yo)
Normal Cockatiel - Apollo (unknown)

Raised in Pennsylvania... now living on the outskirts of Kansas

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

First, stop rewarding the behavior. By taking him out you are giving him what he wants and he is associating the behavior (screaming) with the reward (being with you). I would suggest that you set up his playstand in another room where he cannot see or hear you. If he starts screaming, take him out and place him on the stand without looking at him, speaking to him, or other reward behaviors. He should soon associate the (screaming) with the consequence (being further from you).

Another thing to consider is to check your public library or college library. Many have study rooms that can be reserved for quiet homework time without distractions.

Lastly, EARPLUGS!!!!!

Good luck
Report Spam   Logged

BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:37 am »

Unfortunately Lorek, i think the fids are hormonal right now. Peanut does the SAME thing. Just try what George said.

What I do, os if Peanut starts screaming, i make her fly to her perch in the living room, and if she continues, she goes to her room for time out.
Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »

lets see, you know skittles is a screamer. and yes it can get quite annoying. skittles hates when i read. if i get a book out he will start screaming at me. so i dont read in the same room with him.
the things i do when skittles has an episode:

- i will whisper to him. he sometimes stops to hear what i'm saying to him.
- i will set aside time to scream with him. we have a good old fashioned scream fest to let out that frustration.l
- i taught him to vent his frustrations on toys.
- do NOT do the instinctive thing of turning on a tv loud to compensate.  it just eggs 'em on.
- lots of activity around them can set them off, so be sure its calm around 'em.
- before you get the books out and he starts screaming give him a bath, all that preening keeps him occupied.
- before he starts screaming, give him a treat that takes effort to eat, ie nuts in the shell or a bit of granola bar that he has to pick  apart to eat
- give him a book to kill as you're studying

i'll try to think of the other things i've done over the last few years for skittles... sometimes, unfortunately, the only thing you can do is leave or suffer.  sadboy3  sorry.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »

Has he had a check up lately? Just checking to be sure he's not sick, if this is something new.

Powder is a screamer since we got broke into and he was stressed out badly by the person who broke in.
When I'm home I try to sop the screaming before it starts as Powder paces really fast before a screaming fit so I fly him, or play with him, or put his harness on him and walk him (around the block does the trick), or take him outside in his outside cage for a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:06:00 pm »

most of sondra's methods are similar to mine in one key, the key is to catch it BEFORE it starts. watch the signs and triggers and avoid 'em. that's your best bet. cause once they get on a roll the only help is ear plugs.
i dont always see it before it starts. if ya look at some of my old posts you'll see that there are times i just wanna jab an ice pick in my ear. hormones make skittles' episodes MUCH worse. i think its the frustration that goes with urges he cant act on.
barring illness, i'd guess mango is frustrated. so if you can help him vent his frustrations in an acceptable manner it may, over time, cut down on the scream-fests.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »

Yikes!  Good replies.  Hope this subsides in the near future  hmm
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: