Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:46:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

cooking for fiddies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cooking for fiddies  (Read 270 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:22:53 pm »

well, got to cookin today for the fiddies.

first i made a pot of 15bean soup, mixed it with some rice and called it 'food'. pretty simple.

then i made some long grain and wild rice with some cumin, let it cool, mixed in some pine nuts, almond slivers and some chopped cashews and some chopped kale.

last i made a batch of 'chop'. if you've seen patricia sund's site Parrotnation you know how big she is about chop. basically its fresh veggies and some grains with some seasonings and herbs. a fresh food mix that has all sorts of great nutrients. the 'chop' concept is you make a big batch every so often and freeze it in single serving sized bags. then its easy to feed your parrots a healthy meal of veggies and grains daily. i feed the fresh fruit and veggie mix daily anyway, but hey! if it makes MY life easier?? i'm all for it!

so my 'chop' being the first batch was quite simple: quinona, couscous, steel cut oats, kale, carrots, red peppers, zuchinni, yellow squash, anahiem peppers, and broccoli. its not extensive, after all its my first batch and i'm working with a ONE CUP FOOD CHOPPER. so chopping gets OLD quick.  sweaten

so i mixed up this batch of chop and served up a dish for each of the fiddies. no time like the present to see what they think, right?
well
ollie dove in beak first, you'd think he hadnt eaten in DAYS.  dinner
marley started purring immediately and jumped in with both feet, literally.  slaph
twiggy ran to her bowl and like the miss priss that she is, started picking delicately at it.  nails
caleb ran over and even he started picking at it happily.
Then we have mr. spoiled rotten himself, skittles.  slaph  i put it in his bowl, he looks at it from his swing that's over his cage...  says to me "mmmmm goooood!" then he pretends to try it, moving his beak like he's chewing... only i'm not falling for it. why? cause he's still FOUR FEET away from the food bowl!  lol 

well, four outta five aint bad.  thumb

it'll all be bagged up and frozen to be defrosted here and there. especially on those days when i'm just plain exhausted and wanna take a short cut for breakfast or dinner.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »

Every time saving thing we can do is fantastic!!
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »

If you can find bird people up in your area, you might be able to organize a chop party. There was one in Brandon last week, everyone contributed something based on the number of attendees, and everyone was guaranteed a month's supply. It reduces the work load, builds relationships, and gives you one more sounding board for the fids. This is where I learned my no-brainer, duh concept. Cook the beans, lentils, or other legume and SAVE the water to cook the quinoa or other grains. THe nutrients lost in cooking the beans are absorbed by the grains. Simple and obvious, now ashamed
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »

thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: