Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 01:30:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Question on Gizzies beak

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Gizzies beak  (Read 220 times)
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Badges: (View All)
Search Level 5 Linux User
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:26:38 pm »

Hey all! I noticed this morning that one side of Gizmo's beak is overgrown, quite a bit. (I hadn't been messing with him much lately so hadn't noticed it sooner...he's been such a butt and wants to be left alone). The right side (his right) of his beak is normal, but the opposite side looks awful.  I don't think it's from him not chewing things...he chews all the time, pretty equally. Why after 6 years (have I really had him that long??!) would it all of a sudden do this? What are ya'lls thoughts? I'm wondering if I shouldn't get him to the vet once I get back from TN and get them to look at it and draw some blood to make sure it's not something with his liver or whatever.  dknow hmm

Here's some pics.

Normal side

Odd side
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:47 am »

Give him some extra wood to chew on, popsicle sticks and wooden skewers are two items he should be able to handle well. I think if he works on them it will even the beak out. It could also be like that from hanging on his cage. If you haven't had him to the vet in 3 years you should get him checked out.
Report Spam   Logged
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:36:39 am »

He chews on those all the time...loves em. I always mke sure his toys include them.

He hasn't ever been to the vet. :/ so ill probably try to.get him in
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:59 am »

i'd take him to the vet. if it was even, i would wonder if it was chewing. but it being uneven, throws up red flags. there's a type of mite that causes that kind of thickening of the beak and skin. i only vaguely remember reading bout it, tho. so i dont have much info on it. good luck with the widdle guy and keep us posted.  hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:09:46 am »

That's what was worrying me...since it was uneven. Plus its always stayed even in the 5/6 years ive had him until now. Ill be trying to get him an appt when I get back from my vacation.  I asked mom if she.has a chance while I am gone to take him to a.vet near here that has a part time avian vet. If not, ill take him to my bird vet that's an hour away when I get back.
Report Spam   Logged

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:08:31 am »

Ya i too thought bring him in for some blood.  Could very well be the reason he is being such a butthead too and wanting to be left alone, maybe he is ill.
Report Spam   Logged

BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »

Thanks for confirming what I. Was thinking y'all. Ill be saving up my next paycheck for a vet visit. Avian vets are so expensive...I think this vet does payment plans though, so here's to hoping lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: