Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:39:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Bad birdie behavior...any suggestions appreciated

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad birdie behavior...any suggestions appreciated  (Read 190 times)
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:23 pm »

I posted this on facebook .....

Having some issues I need advice on,
1. Dexter and Morgan ( canary wings) They were a very bonded pair when I adopted them from Barb. Morgan developed an obsession with Bella ( sun / jenday). Bella liked the attention at first, now thinks Morgan is a pain in the vent. She has started attacking Morgan. And Morgan in her frustration attacked Dexter the other day. I swear she would have killed him if I hadn't been there. Bit off some flight feathers and a tail feather on him. No bleeding, but Dexie who is the mellowest little soul was shaking and panting. I moved Dex intoo the dining room, while Morgan is still in the cage in the birdroom. It has deteriorated to the point where Morgan is rarely out. I let her out the other day when the rest were caged, but her obsessive energy caused utter chaos. Everyone started screamimg, Jadie started attacking her own legs...its just an uncomfortable situation. Any suggestions?
2. Well, I always had a feeling Jadies was a boy. She started trying to mate with Buddy today. Jade acts so strange. She spent the day on the side of her cage, head down, latched onto the bars. Everytime Buddy takes flight, she is immediately on her. I DO NOT want babies. Buddy freaks out and lands on my head, Jade lands on top of her and my head becomes their love nest. That I can deal with. But short of cutting down on everyones out of cage time, what can I do to calm my whole house down.
? Buddy wants no part of Jade, but I know accidents can happen. Help me! I feel like they have taken over...LOL ...more than usual anyway :-)
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:20:43 am »

Wow, I feel for ya', but I don't have any advice.

I don't have experience with any of those species.

Hope all gets back to normal before you go nuts.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:57 am »

You may have to turn another room into an area where you can let the offenders out. If you have a bird who attacks either you cage the rest to give one out of cage time or you turn anther room into their out of cage time.

As far as babies, they can be prevented by placing eggs into a pan of water that has been boiled for 10 minutes. The trick here is you MUST do it in the first 24 hours as after 24 hours the becomes fertilized. Just be sure to mark the egg already placed in water.

Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:25:23 am »

I read this when I got home this morning and pondered it a bit, all I can come up with is another room.  Sorry Jades not much help.
Report Spam   Logged

steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:59:50 am »

oh geeze. talk about a frustrating situation. like ditty, i read this and decided to think on it a bit before i responded. with everyone being flighted and used to intermingling, its hard to reign 'em in. other than separate rooms for out of cage time, or errecting a barrier to split the room in half, i'm stumped. i think some screen on maybe some hooks, a long rod across the room, you could 'open' and 'close' it at will. it wouldnt interfere with visibility or air circulation. but honestly i'm not sure if its really practical. once the breed-mode eases off will it calm down? have you noticed a cycle in the chaos? such as always during a certain time of year (or times)? maybe if its seasonal hormones you can set up a temporary area to house the offenders? if nothing else, the moving things around should discourage that breed-mode simply cause it will disrupt their 'routine'.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:20:18 am »

Thanks all. Yes, definately some moving is in order. I am taking Dex  and Morgan out of the fid room. They will stay in seperate cages in the living room for a calming down period then see if maybe they will rebond if Bella is out of the pic. I was advised to keep them out of sight of Bella so am trying that. All suggestions and imput is valuable and appreciated. As for Jade and Buddy...they are out one at a time for now. If eggs come, I will do as Sondra advises. I just do not want babies.  Thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: