Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:08:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Heat/Parrot madness

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat/Parrot madness  (Read 355 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:19 pm »

This post could also go to "human behavior" if we had a spot.  I was venting to my self earlier and decided to vent here.  If nothing else maybe it can give off more information to people browsing and or newbie people who are interested in getting a parrot.

It is HOT here much like most of the east coast is.  I can take heat but when combined with high humidity I get, well a tad cranky :oldg:  I do not know if it is our summer set up with the air conditioner (we have to close off the kitchen/dining room door) or what but Squiggy is driving me MAD the last few weeks. :deer:  Everywhere I go if he can hear me or spot me (through any window) it is a constant "BEEP", BEEP, BEEP!!!! headhammer  If I move in the cave room, through the smallest of windows.. BEEP, BEEP!  He can see me through the window, then through the garage window and me on the other side.. BEEP, BEEP!  When ever I go out the door.. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!  When I come down stairs, come home, cook in the kitchen.. Yep, you guessed it  groggy  Earlier I was in the kitchen and BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!  And I snapped and yelled, "Squiggy will you please STOP IT!"  I look out and there is a postal truck in the driveway  slaph  ashamed  I do not know why Cockatiels are so flappin obsessed with me?  First Miah, then Sqiggy.  dknow  Even for us that have much experience with Parrots does not mean it is always peaches and cream, or peace and quiet, or.. ya know.  So, after my guilt wore off for yelling at Squig I went to clean the microwave.  Someone put a full container of toothpicks, with no lid on top groggy  I then..  pullhair  The site was amazing.  The toothpicks were very colorful but I sure as hell was not in the mood to pick em all up off the entire floor.  I felt like Rain Man.  Yeah, 352 toothpicks, and K-Mart sucks! clapyell
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:00:57 pm by AdminBuffaloParrot » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »

laugh laffhrd   i'm sorry D. i hate to laugh at your distress...but the mental image of your toothpicks....  lol smile3   

i agree all the 'potential' parronts out there need to know that no matter how amazing they are, how affectionate they can be, how intelligent they can be, there are times you really ask yourself WTH WAS I THINKING???  bangdhead  like when skittles and caleb decide to have a screaming contest.  headhammer  or marley decides he must let the entire world know that he's alive.  weirdo3  or twiggy does her reeek....reeeeek....reeeek....reeeek.... <sigh>

it goes on and on. sometimes they arent even close to wonderful. at those times we care for 'em and love 'em cause we are obliged to do so. does it help to remember this was none of their doing?  confused  nope.   bangdhead
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:37 pm »

Yep, there is joy to having birds in your life, the same as skinned children, BUT When they get in their moods they are absolutely awful, just like skinned children.

Ours have been CRAZY today, don't know why, don't care (I was working  smile3), Max was flying all over and he rarely flies and he was dive bombing Powder and landing on his play-gym giving hubs heart failure, Momma was dive bombing Powder all day. Higgy was beeping, chirping, whistling, and chattering all day ( those CAG chirps and beeps can really get under your skin. Powder was screaming and pacing all day. Now I come home and everyone says hi and wants me to give them their daily quick spritz with the water bottle and all is quiet (for now). BTW, hubs doesn't turn the air conditioner on until I get home and it's HOT in the house/shop by then. By the time I get coffee in me and my clothes changed it's quite a bit cooler - maybe that has something to do with things here. thinkin3

For non-Too owners, a M2 and a U2 scream louder than a jet engine at full throttle. bugeye
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »

For non-Too owners, a M2 and a U2 scream louder than a jet engine at full throttle. bugeye

and a scarlet macaw (or any macaw) isnt far behind.  slaph 

when they get going even the other birds shoot 'em dirty looks.  :somad:

i'm thinking the heat makes the feathered people a bit grumpy too? it stays pretty cool  in here, even with my a/c set on 73, its comfy in here.   dknow
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »

oiy, ya i can see it now with the toothpicks.
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:32 pm »

Yeah, I was not a pleasant boy I tell ya.  Mar even came in to help me pick up the 3,502 toothpicks  hmm  To top it off, my big meal, my Buffalo traditional fish fry went down the *bleep* drain.  Don't know if it was the humidity or just the way of things today but when I beer battered my $9.99 a pound haddock fillets the batter rolled right off them and the fillets immediately sank and stuck to the bottom of the fryer huh4  I honestly came very close to picking the *bleep*ing whole thing up and throwing it against the wall! bangdhead  Just not my day, I give up, honestly!  flag
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:35 pm »

Sondra! I'm appalled at you! I do believe that skinning children is illegal in all 50 states as well as the commonwealth countries and territories!
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »

D...if yer' gonna' play 'pick up sticks' I'd suggest finding colored shish kabob sticks.  dknow laugh At least they're big enough to see on the floor.  lol

I think it was Monday around noon that all 3 of my younguns went into a screamfest between each other. That would be both macaw boys and the Diva, Miss Leyla Belle (female Eclectus)! Trouble with that was, it was a work day for me & I work at night so I was trying to sleep. :deer: sleepy They are usually quiet while I'm in bed & they can't see or hear me, so this was not their normal mode.  confused I finally had to partially cover their cages to get them to stop. The macaw aviary & Leyla's lights are hanging directly over their cages, so they were not in the dark at all, but just pulling the curtain part way got them to tone it down.  roll

They haven't done that anymore this week. My house is fairly small & all the cages are in the living room area or kitchen area which is a long L shape. We have one refrigerated window unit we run between 76 to 78 day & night and the house is very comfortable. So I know the heat inside is not the culprit, but the longer summer days could be with mine or they just felt like 'singing' in the middle of the day!

Now, I did wonder if I was harboring 'illegal aliens' in my cages on Wed. the 4th of July!  think I got in late from work due to doing a little shopping (mostly for the fiddies) after getting off work for my 4. I got in around 9:00 a.m. (usually it is 7:00 a.m.), fed the kids, did a little emailing & went to bed around 11:30 a.m. So, I get back up at 4:30 p.m. look in on the fids which I pass right by the mac boys cage to get out of my bedroom & Leyla is about 10 ft. on the other side of the room.

Roscoe had taken his veggie bowl completely off the wire & threw it to the floor. OK, I then look at Leyla's veggie bowl & she had tossed all her veggies to the floor (she isn't strong enough to take the bowl off yet). I asked both of them if they were revolting against the 4th celebrations?  slaph  :pit: Dear sweet Angel was the only one who left his bowl alone & even tho he is handicapped, his beak IS Not & he has taken his bowl off before.  dmblaf smile3 And both stinkers were super quiet about it too. Not a squeak or squawk was heard from them all day!  loco6

I know parrots do this and it really wasn't a big deal. This is the first time either one has done that and it just fit in with it being an American celebration day & they looked to be protesting.  laffhrd
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:31:58 pm by Nakia » Report Spam   Logged
looniebirds
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 32

Smile!

Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »

And when I think, only a couple of weeks ago, I kept thinking and saying "It just doesn't feel like summer!

Somebody told me it will be 104 tomorrow and 105 Sunday!  The East Coast is like a little piece of Hell! bugeye
Report Spam   Logged

wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 06:16:48 pm »

HA!! you jinxed it!  bugeye

it is HOT AS HELL NOW!

the heat is geting to everyone and everything, didn't help that a lot of folks in the east coast lost power for days and it was so hot people died!  :deer:  so 3th of july the stores were ZOOS because some people got power back and were replacing their spoiled food.  the storms were hella scary!  i thought my tree would come into my house, then I saw the damamge the next morning and realized that it could have actually happened..  hubby has been sleepingon the couch recovering since it is easier to get up and down off of, and he has the back of the couch to put pillows against to support his leg and keep it elevated.  I was out there many times checking on him, ...he laughed at me   ashamed  but I was worried..  people are grumpy as hell and short tempers in such a crowded city where jobs and money are tight is a receipe for disaster.  D, I spilled a cup of many pencils and do you know I said "forget it" and left them right there on the floor.  I was too hot and tired to care.  they stayed there for days.  the toothpicks would have gone into the trash had it been me, you have more patience than you give yourself credit for!!!! when it is this hot, I de-rail. i bought chicken to put in my crock pot and when I opened it, it was "sticky" and stank.. it was spoiled and I had just purchased it 2 days prior.  how frustrating!!! so I kinda know what you mean about your meat. ..kinda...
'

K-Mart has sucked since like 1998.

Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »

We have central air so the heat isn't an issue for the fids....but I have so many hormones flying around here that you would think it was a middle school. hardlaf   If Jadie plays scream, scream, flap, flap, bounce bounce on my head one more time, I swear I will cook her and feed her to the others........tastes like chicken, dinner   and my fids like nothing better than a nice wing to nibble on.  droolon2
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: