Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:14:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

how NOT to make friends with a parrot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how NOT to make friends with a parrot  (Read 202 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:41 am »

drew was sitting on the sofa last nite. caleb was in his room...well, caleb came hopping out with his crest up. uh...can you say 'aggression'?? but we let him wander round the livingroom floor under my close watch. He kept going up to drew's seat and stretching his neck up. his feathers didnt much indicate hostility, more curiosity. so drew held his hand lower and make the 'scritch' motion, and softly asked caleb "can i give you scritches?" caleb lowered his head a bit and allowed drew to lightly scritch his crest. So as i'm hovering round to be sure caleb doesnt try to climb the sofa, drew is lightly scritching. caleb turns his head up and tho he's not got any  other aggressive posturing his beak is slightly open. i say "uh son, ya might wanna stop for a bit. i'm not sure if he's gonna nibble or bite. he can really jump high, becareful." i turn my back to watch a particularly interesting part of the movie on tv. when i turn back around, drew has his hand just barely outta caleb's reach and caleb is nibbling at the tips of his fingers. i say "drew, playing with a bird's beak isnt the best way to make friends" bout that time, caleb launched himself up and latched onto the tip of drew's index finger with that deadly cockatoo beak. Of course, instinct kicked in and drew snatched his hand back, caleb screamed and released. i calmly handed drew a handtowel to stem the blood flow as caleb hopped round the room with his crest up making lots of aggressive cockatoo noises. So after he calmed down a bit, i got caleb back into his room, on top of the cage and shut the barrier so he couldnt come back out. i got drew an ice pack for his quickly swelling finger. caleb only got the tip, but with his power, that's all it takes. i go in the livingroom to drew and i said, "lemme see it....it doesnt look too bad. it could've been much worse. ya know son, its just not a good idea to play with a parrot's beak if you arent good friends yet." Of course, drew was being a butthead bout the whole thing. and eventually i had to send the 18 year old CHILD to his room.  slaph
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:43 am »

ummm ya that would be not the right way for sure. 
OUCH! hope Drew heals quickly.  And now he knows the power, hope he respects that beak now.  LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:13:41 pm »

Poor Drew! Poor Caleb.
I wonder what some man did to Caleb to make him not like men. As long as Drew understands that it's not Calebs fault nor his own fault. I hope Drew continues to try with Caleb. If Drew continues to try and succeds he'll go a long way with his life, I mean earning a scared Cockatoos trust isn't an easy task.
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:58 am »

Phewww, glad it wasn't worse than it could have been.  :deer:

Funny how 18 is just a number. It definitely doesn't make 'em mature or give them the common sense they didn't have at 17. I'm not meaning anything bad about Drew, just thinking about how legally they are a kid who can't tie their own shoes one day & the next they are an adult and society says they are smart enough to handle life! roll

Hope Drew can find it in him to try again on Caleb's terms.  happyjack

Jerry wants to be friends with my birds, but he doesn't know anything about handling them ( he never cared to learn with my other ones). I hover when he gets close to Roscoe and I tell him to offer him a treat to make friends easier. Roscoe will step up on him sometimes if I am there and telling him it is ok. When my son was still at home & I had my other parrots, he didn't mess with them much but he could pick them up anytime without any trouble. He just had a gentle, calm personality they understood & accepted. 
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:15 am »

drew understands that its not caleb's fault how he is. and when he's not being a butthead, he's really good and patient with the birds. he and skittles have a very close relationship, as a matter of fact, he knew skittles for nearly a year before i got him. Drew knows how to handle birds, he knows how to approach, and he knows better than to play with a parrot's beak if you dont already have a close trust. he just had too much faith in his own reflexes and not enough belief in caleb's jumping ability...white men cant jump but apparently pink parrots CAN.  lol

no offense taken bout drew and his childish leanings.  slaph  I've always raised him (and jess) in the sense that they are people, not just children. overall, he's pretty mature most of the time. but that evening he'd went more than a day without sleep and was...misbehaving. lets just let it go at that, he was being a naughty boy.  slaph

sondra, the man in caleb's life had to have been quite hateful, based on his mutterings that i can make out and his strong response to anyone who even resembles a male, including short haired females until they speak and he hears their feminine voice.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »

Yup, Powder had a "man" in his life like that...........took 18 months before hubs culd even hold him without getting a NASTY bite. I hope Karma bites them in the butt!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: