Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 02:04:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ham anxiety

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham anxiety  (Read 330 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:05:12 pm »

Welp, the other day I bought an uncured non smoked 8 1/2 lb fresh ham.  Will be going to my x bro in laws place tomorrow with my smoker and we will have it in by 10:30 AM.  I will smoke it with apple and hickory.  I am worried as we have never done this.  I put it in a brine Monday and it takes 2 pounds per day to fully cure.  I also injected it with the brine and that should help speed up the curing but I know it won't be fully cured.  Also, do not know if 7 hours will be long enough.  I already made the mop (baste) and glaze for it.  Man, now I know why ham is so expensive.  Ya gotta cut the rind off it without taking the fat with it, have to brine it and or dry cure it for days and sometimes weeks, then you have a long process of smoking/cooking the beast.  Wish me luck..  :morn:
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

good luck!
Report Spam   Logged
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

Level 3 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »

good luck! it sounds so good right about now!!!  droolon2 droolon2
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:04:21 am »

My question is: Why in the Hell do you want to torture yourself like that?!! sweaten :deer:

Just get the cured one ready to cook & be done with it!   drool

If yer gonna' go to all that much trouble to cure it yourself, why don't ya' go out & hunt the damn thing down & kill it yourself too?   dknow laugh

Oh, by the way...Good Luck with the ham & I will be expectin' my share in the mail.  thumb

Just in case ya'll don't have any wild hogs to hunt, just come out here to Texas & you will nearly fall over one every other step ya' take. They are thicker than hair on a dog!  roll
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:05:09 am »

Welp, because cooking for me is a hobby, an art form if you will  dknow  There are supposedly wild boar in our state but it is rare and I have never seen one.
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:17:13 am »

come on down here, we have lots of wild hogs too. its not uncommon (during the right season) to see momma and piglets on the side of the road forraging.

uh... yea...ham... ummm...where'd we put those crackers from the other day?  ashamed
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:54 am »

Tozie?  I think I may have found someone who likes less food items than my Son  dmblaf  slaph
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:26:29 am »

smile3  i reign as the 'queen of picky' <adjusts crown>
Report Spam   Logged

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:20 pm »

We have wild boar here too!

Hey Tozie, can I share those crackers?
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 01:35:31 pm »

yup, i have several diff kinds...<passes plate of crackers> the sociables are on the right, the ritz are in the middle, and the artesian parmesean wheat thins are on the left, didja want the cheese tray too?

smile3
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:28:32 pm »

laugh :dmblaf:Our wild hogs ain't just wild boars. oh They are feral hogs from domestic ones that got loose back in the 70s, I think. think

Anyway, they are totally wild & mean & getting overpopulated. There are lots of folks hunting them nowadays and most use or sell the meat. There was some place advertising for the wild hog meat to be shipped to Europe and places like that. Not sure if that panned out. dknow

We do have the jerks who go around at night shooting all the wild hogs & babies they see & then leaving them on the side of the road. :pipen: :pit: If your gonna' hunt & kill it, you should at least use it for some reason!! pullhair

D, I know you love ta' cook & don't mind the extra work involved in preparing good food. thumb

I wuz jest pullin' yer' leg. smile3 Sure wished you lived close enough for me ta' drive over, I'd be a supper (dinner for ya'll) guest every night!!  drool

One thing I do love & it ain't crackers...sorry tozie & Sondra...is meat!!!! So, pass the ham, pleeeze!!!!!!! droolon2
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:31:30 pm by Nakia » Report Spam   Logged
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 04:00:24 pm »

after reading the title of this post I thought you maybe brought pork over to a friends Shabbos dinner.   slaph ..... laffhrd
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: