Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 08:52:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Angel had his first major Boo-Boo Fri.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angel had his first major Boo-Boo Fri.  (Read 337 times)
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »

Nakia, Is there a possibility that you can open his wing and ever so gently feel for any abnormality that wasn't in his wing before he went to the vet? I'm asking because if his wing is deformed they may have tried to "put things in place" and done some damage to it. (please dear Lord, let it be ok  :pray: ) I hope it's just bruised and nothing more done to it. Maybe he'll let you massage it, you know, like in the joints.

Tozie, I never thought about the nails, we do our own nails here because most vets trim way too short. Good call!  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:35 am »

Angel can still stretch his wing out fully and when it is closed it still looks the same. He didn't extend it over the perch & leave it for awhile before he went. Right now he isn't too keen on even coming out to be on the play perch. I have to go back to work for my 4 tonight, if he is still favoring it and the right leg I will put him in my lap & check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, I will see how much he will let me touch it. He is a darling when I put him in my lap to do anything, he has the best attitude for all his disabilities.  happyjack

He doesn't scream in pain or flinch when he leans over his perches with his leg, so I don't think they are dislocated. I still think the vet & or the techs bruised them trying to stretch them for the xray & who knows what else. I can guarantee if they were doing all of this with him fully awake & not anesthetized that he was fighting them. If they don't know how to restrain a parrot properly and didn't even want to xray it til I asked how they could say it was fractured, I can imagine how bruised he is from their handling.  pullhair

I wished Dr. Hambre hadn't retired. I knew he was going to, but he was supposed to have handpicked this lady vet. and wouldn't turn his hospital over to her until he was satisfied she was the right one. I never met her before the other day, he was in semi-retirement, but was still seeing his clients. This is why I thought things would still be the same there, boy was I wrong! Maybe she is a sister turkey to your turkey vet. tozie sad8

I have my own nail trimmers and I am working with Roscoe to trim his. I didn't use it on Angel yet, his were still a good length for him. Yesterday evening he did hold the wire with his right foot a little more than earlier,he was actually putting it on the wire again, so I am hoping it is healing & feeling better. He is beginning to make the pert-pert sounds too. He hasn't talked or made any noises, even a scream since Fri., so I think he is putting this behind him & getting back to his old self.  :twirl:
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:05 am »

The best nail trimmers are people nail trimmers, the big ones - my opinion only. Start now touching your boys all over, teaching them to open their wings on command and holding them open, you can use "Eagle Bird, hold" (holding their wings open), or "Big Bird". Of course the more you touch them, massage them, feel their bodies all over the more they will accept it and the easier it will be for you to do in an emergency. Go slow and enjoy the bonding that will take place while doing this, make it a special time for both of you.
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:27 am »

I have both large people nail trimmers and animal ones. I have been touching them & getting them used to my examining them under the wings & all around. I have trimmed Roscoe's nails already & he was kinda' like..."Huh, what was that?"  dmblaf

I have been training Roscoe to let me touch him in the places the Aviator harness will be attached. I ordered one for him & Leyla and already have them. Roscoe is not yet ready for me to put it on him, but we are working toward that. Right now when I show it to him he wants to chew on it like it is another one of his toys, so we will have some time before he is used to it enough to go on him.

I also wanted to say that Angel is getting back to his old self. Yesterday while I was getting ready for work, I took Roscoe out on the play perch as usual. Angel began his sing-song about brother being out. Something he hasn't done in almost a week. I took him out too & he was climbing around & chewing on the toys. He is using his right foot more, he still doesn't grip as tightly with it as he did, but I can see an improvement in how he was using it a couple of days ago. So I am so glad he is acting more like my darling Angel again. I tell him how very sorry I let them hurt & scare him like they did & I promise him I will not let them touch him anymore!  :somad:

On a side note, Last Fri. it was Angel to the vets, well this Fri. it was hubby to the ER from work last night around 9:30 p.m. I was all comfy in 2 tower, planning on being their all night & I get a call from my Lt. that another officer was switching out with me so I could take Jerry home. He went to the infirmary to check his blood sugar level & it was over 500! The Lt. said I would have to come back to work after I got him squared away. They don't care that we live 50 miles from work & it is a 200 mile double round trip when we come to work, I take him home, come back to work & then take myself home. I've had to do that before when his blood pressure was way high & we have nobody at home to take him to the Dr. if he were to get worse. That's something they don't care about either.  loco6

Anyway, I take him the the ER in Abilene,(which is 60 mile from home) they give him fluids & insulin & some other drug & at 2:00 a.m. this morning we are finally done with them. I call my Lt. & tell her I am headed home with Jerry, it will take an hour to get him there & another 50 mins. for me to come back. Meaning I would get back to work around 4:00 a.m. & we get off work at 6:00 a.m. She tells me not to worry about coming back since it would be that late  by the time I get back.  huh4

He found out he was diabetic last summer and takes a pill for it, doesn't stay on his diet, doesn't listen to me, doesn't check it regularly & then expects the docs to be able to fix him brand new when he's on the verge of dying. :pit: Last week he was showing symptoms of his blood sugar being outta' whack & I told him to see his Dr., but NO, he doesn't listen to me (am I repeating myself?)...I'm not medically knowledgeable & he thinks it is something else. So $150.00 ER co-payment later I tell him..."Didn't I tell you what it was & that you needed to get it checked out?!" loco6 :pit:

Sorry about ranting, but I told him he was gonna' be the only one at his "pitty party" cause I was NOT going to care about him if he isn't going to care about himself!  :pipen: Of course, ya'll know I lying to him, but I ain't gonna' let him know that.  slaph
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 07:25:14 am »

ugh!! men!  slaph  they are stubborn creatures, arent they??  have ya got a glucose tester? they have 'em for fairly cheap (its the strips that cost an arm and a leg!). we usually recommend the generic (walgreen's brand) cause the strips are cheaper and they work just as well as the name brand.  anyway, he needs to know what that is doing to  his poor body. The ups/downs/all arounds do horrible damage to the organs. There is plenty of low sugar alternatives out there to satisfy those taste buds. I had a girl who worked for me years ago, when her sugar was off she would get argumentative and kinda outta her mind. So I'd have to really be firm to get her to check her sugar, once she got it straight, she would be apologetic and thank me for pushing her. She really had no idea what she was saying and doing when it was off.

i'm sooo glad Angel is getting back to normal. i did the same with Skittles after my horrible vet visit. I definitely wear the scars more deeply than he does, as i'm sure you will for Angel. Have ya seen ditty's thread about how to put on an aviator? i could NOT get skittles used to that darn thing. he would freak out if i even laid it on his back. so i finally tried a unique way to get him to accept it...i put it on me.  ashamed   smile3  hey, it worked! He wears it now and loves to go outside. Anyway, the pic of me wearing it is in her thread, in the parrot training section of the board.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:03:34 pm »

Hubby has one of those meters (brand new) given to him by a coworker who bought one & then his Dr. gave him one. He told me all Jerry had to do was get a prescription from his Dr. to get the test papers & the insurance would pay a good bit of it. He hasn't bothered to do that... slaph He gets a two day "get out of jail" pass from work, plus he has jury duty on our first morning off, so he won't go to work on Mon. either & I get to work the next 3 nights! Oh the injustice I suffer, I should get a month off for all the hair pulling trying to get him to listen to me.  pullhair lol

I haven't seen Ditty's video on the aviator harness. I will have to look into it. I did view the one that came with the harnesses & I have seen a couple other ones people have on the net. I have read a few times that some birds just have to have it put on with no frills & then they love it. Right now Roscoe thinks anything I show him is a new toy & when he gets hold of it it is a beak tug along with a treat bribe. He's young, so I'll give him credit for being a little silly.  stupid1

Thanks for letting me know about the video, I'll check it out on my days off.  :twirl:
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: