Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 17, 2024, 07:04:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Injured Baby Mourning Dove

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injured Baby Mourning Dove  (Read 348 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 06:31:36 pm »

awww poor baby. dont be too hard on the pup, he was just being a dog. nature is hard and cruel.  sadbigeye  

i wish they could've kept the lil guy alive, but i'm positive they did what they thought was best for him.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:16 pm »

I'm in Virginia...4-5 hours from PA  :twirl:

Part of the reason I've always wanted to get a rehab license is that they are so few and far between in this area. The wildlife center is an hour away...and there aren't many rehabbers in this area. I am still researching into what it takes to become one...as I'm not 100% sure how to start the process yet. But, I am definitely going to pursue it, even if I can't become a full certified one right away. (Will take a minimum of 2 years before I can become a fully certified one, since I have to do a 2 year apprenticeship).

I still feel bad for the lil guy. He was doing so well...and seemed like such a fighter...but whenever he moved, his wing just flopped all over the place...he couldn't use it at all.  cry When he'd move away from us, his injured wing would flop backwards. Had I already had my rehab license, I think I would have kept him to see how he would do...Without actually seeing the xrays they did, I don't know how many bones were actually broken, but she told me his wing was pretty much shattered. I'm sure they could have amputated the wing and kept him for educational purposes, but with him being so young, maybe they thought the surgery and recovery process would be too much for him?  cwy Either way, at least we know he's not suffering anymore.

I bought a few things at the petstore yetserday on my way home just in case this happens again...so we have some emergency supplies. Got some Lafebers baby bird formula (kaytee had been recalled...this was all they had), a syringe, a bottle, and something else I forget lol. We were doing some reading that you can make a makeshift crop out of a bottle and a rubber glove (for doves and other birds with similar beaks) that they can eat at their own pace out of instead of having to be force fed.

My parents are insistent that the next baby we find will be kept and not sent to the center...  hmm Not that I would mind having a wild birdie...but the threat of a several thousand dollar fine, confiscation and euthanasia of the bird stays at the front of my mind...Va has such strict laws about wildlife... Now on the other hand, if it's a non-native species or a  nuisance species (starling lol) or a ring necked dove, etc, they're fine to keep.  slaph

Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 08:34:40 pm »

You'll need acess to antibiotics and the knowledge of how and when to use them, plus you'll need benibac (sp?) for good gut flora. Imprinting will also be a problem, but usually only at first as birds will return to their wild state after a few weeks. Keep all other animals away from and out of sight of injured birds as once they become unafraid of cats or dogs they will not loose that. I'm sending you that link, there is some very good info on the site & Peggy has written a couple of books that could help you if you find an injured bird or animal. She has advised and has input in the Pa Dept of Environmental Conservation Officers (game wardens). I think you'll learn some valuable info if you take the time to go through the site. There may even be classes you might be able to attend if you use vacation time.
Report Spam   Logged
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:17 pm »

Thank you Sondra! hugu

I will definitely read through it!
Our Wildlife center hosts classes every year in October and November, which counts as the 6 hours of mandatory educational classes for the permits. They also offer lots of extra classes throughout the year...I will be starting the application process sometime soon. Not sure exactly when yet...I need to call the center and find out exactly what I need to do first.  For my first 2 years, it looks like as an apprentice I'll be able to rehab healthy abandoned animals, which my sponser/teacher would provide and assist with as needed.  We have a basement that the pets are rarely in, as well as people. We only go down there once in awhile, so I could setup an area down there for the animals in need, and just have a space heater or something as needed. At the end of the apprenticeship, I'd be able to take in abandoned animals from the public....so much to do! lol. I look forward to the challenge....I'm such a softie when it comes to wildlife... sweaten
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: