Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 04:04:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The female reproductive system

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The female reproductive system  (Read 519 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:15:35 am »

BrokenWing Chronicles
The female reproductive system

The female reproductive system is unique in birds. In most birds, the hen only has a left ovary and oviduct. However, two fully developed ovaries are usually present in birds of prey and the kiwi. Two oviducts may occur in birds of prey. In normal parrots and softbills, there is usually only a left ovary and oviduct. The ovary contains all of the cells that can turn into eggs. When ovulation occurs, the egg cell and yolk are released from the ovary. Since hens produce eggs, and do not develop the babies inside the uterus, as mammals do, the oviduct is the organ that receives the egg, and then applies the egg white, membranes and shell. There are five portions to the oviduct and each performs a different function. They are the infundibulum, which receives the egg after ovulation. This is where fertilization usually occurs. Sometimes a hen will lay eggs without a male being present, and in this case, the eggs will be infertile. Chicken eggs purchased at the grocery store are infertile eggs.

The next portion of the oviduct is the magnum. It is in this area that the bulk of the egg-white protein is added. The egg travels next into the isthmus where egg membranes are produced and calcification of shell begins. The next portion of the oviduct is called the uterus, but it is nothing like the uterus of a mammal. The uterus is also called the shell gland, as this is where the shell is put on the egg. The final portion of the oviduct is called the *bleep*, and it is here where the sperm are stored in the hen once copulation has occurred. It takes about 25 hours for the egg to travel down the oviduct. The oviduct terminates in the urodeum.

Unlike the hen's reproductive tract, the male usually has two functional testicles. However, they are located up inside the body near the kidneys, and are not found externally as they are in mammals. This is why most birds cannot be sexed by looking at the external characteristics of it, because the testicles or ovary are inside. Some birds have characteristics that identify it as male or female, such as different coloration of feathers. Eclectus parrots are an extreme example of this, as hens are predominantly red and purple and males are predominantly green. Other birds have more subtle differences. Birds that can be visually sexed are called sexually dimorphic. Monomorphic birds cannot be sexed by sight and must be sexed by chromosome analysis, DNA analysis or by endoscopy.

A Link
http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/vm8054/labs/Lab29/EXAMPLES/EXHENEGG.HTM
To see the fimbriae of the avian oviduct
http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/vm8054/labs/Lab29/EXAMPLES/EXFIMBRA.HTM
Infundibulum
http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/vm8054/labs/Lab29/EXAMPLES/EXINFDIB.HTM
Magnum
http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/vm8054/labs/Lab29/EXAMPLES/EXMAGNUM.HTM
Oviduct
http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/vm8054/labs/Lab29/EXAMPLES/EXAVISTH.HTM
Shell Gland
http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/vm8054/labs/Lab29/EXAMPLES/EXSHELL.HTM
*bleep*
The last portion of the tube is the *bleep*. This a muscular tube through which the egg is expelled to the outside world. The folds of the mucosa are short, and the lining is a tall columnar epithelium, again intermittently ciliated.

Near the junction of the *bleep* and the shell gland, there are deep glands lined with simple columnar epithelium. These are the sperm host glands, so called because they can store sperm for long periods of time (10 days to 2 weeks!). When an egg is laid, some of these sperm can be squeezed out of the glands into the lumen of the tract, whence they will migrate farther up to fertilize another egg. This is one of the really remarkable things about birds; they sperm remain viable at body temperature.

BrokenWing
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:24:14 am by BrokenWing » Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:51:04 am »

How do you find these informative sites? I really have to make more time to look through these.    BF now has an encyclopedia of avian  info!
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:41:45 am »

I assumed when the boss created this area of the forum....that's what he wished to happen....much information...who am I to let the boss down...hehehhehe

Some of these Chronicles are old, hope all the links still work.

I have spent a great deal of time putting these Chronicles together...much time...

There's still much to do...
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:00:10 am »

Good job BW. ((hug)))
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
newquakermama
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 6

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:49:36 pm »

Again, fabulous info!  AddEmoticons04239 newquakermama
Report Spam   Logged

thetim53
Chief Adviser buffaloparrot.com
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 23

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »

Never mind. When I saw Debz had responded I assumed it was naughty. Sorry.  ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Asha, 12-year-old Blue Front Amazon
We reside in Georgia
" I may be gone now, but at least I did not die as a damn Yankee!"

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:41:45 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:45:27 pm »

I just saw this comment. lol! Heeeyyyyy!!!!TiM!!! What are you insinuating????
Report Spam   Logged

Home in Colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: