Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 03:13:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Tribe: Bald eagle permit a victory for tradition

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tribe: Bald eagle permit a victory for tradition  (Read 195 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:12 pm »

I am very sympathetic to Native Americans and their culture but I do NOT agree what so ever with this.  http://news.yahoo.com/tribe-bald-eagle-permit-victory-tradition-142059335.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »

sadbigeye
Report Spam   Logged

Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:23:09 pm »

I was going to read that story when I went to check my emails & got side tracked.

I'm no expert in any way on Native American culture or tradition & I really haven't read a lot about the tribes involved. I have read a good bit about the plains tribes, but I must have missed the parts about them killing eagles for their ceremonies. I can remember reading about the catching of eagles & it being a great honor to do so & they use the feathers. I'm assuming not all tribes follow this tradition & I am very glad!

I don't agree with them killing eagles either. There's just something about it that doesn't feel right. Guess I'm biased in my opinion since I love birds & all creatures too much to kill them for a ceremony.

On a side note, I have been through the Wind River area on the hubby's truck. We came out of Billings, Montana & went down through the mountains headed to Salt Lake City, Ut. The Wind River is beautiful traveling down the canyon and there are so many geological sites with plaques noting it on the walls. We weren't able to stop & read what was found in those sites but I sure wanted to!
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:38 am »

I just don't agree with killing anything for religion unless it was to be consumed.  My biggest problem is that they are a threatened species.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:34:29 am »

I applaud the "white society" for allowing this to happen. If the" white people" had followed the laws of nature as the Native Americans have since their existence the Bald Eagle, the Plains Buffalo, and numerous other birds, animals, and plants would never have been forced to extinction or near extinction.

Two birds a year will not cause the birds to become extinct and proof of that is the fact that the Bald Eagle was very plentiful BEFORE the whites arrived.The Bald Eagle is neither threatened nor on the verge of extinction, it is protected as an American icon - a symbol of America. Yet we become upset because the Native Peoples who were here long before us want to use them in religious ceremonies. These same people have such respect for all nature provides them that they would never have decimated the earth the way it has been by us invaders. They give thanks for all nature provides and replenish when they can, they use every scrap of fur, feathers, bone in their daily lives, yet we are going to begrudge them 2 eagles a year because they won't eat it. The reason they won't eat it is because it is a part of the Creator and no man is equal to the Creator, by killing it the spirit of the Creator is free to fly free and watch over all, guiding, protecting.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: