Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:20:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Picture of Mac and I by the lake.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picture of Mac and I by the lake.  (Read 1587 times)
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Badges: (View All)
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 10:39:54 am »

there are a lot of great birdy people on FB
Report Spam   Logged

cdsheid
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 2

Level 3 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:26 am »

Debz, first off i do not think a harness would be less manly, i just dont think he will allow me to slip something over his body with out making him mad. i understand what your saying but have a few questions. The bird is flightless and is not out on windy days. I'm not understanding what you think my bird is going to do if provoked? bite me? because if thats it, there is only risk to me and a harness will not protect me from a bite. the bird is completely flightless soo i just can imagine what else a macaw could do then bite. I appreciate the concern but i do not believe there is a need for any.
Report Spam   Logged
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »

Mac is flightless?
Report Spam   Logged
cdsheid
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 2

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37:45 pm »

Yes, well he is 20 years old and the lady i purchased him from said he has never flown.
Report Spam   Logged
cdsheid
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 2

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »

This picture is from the magazines web site. I hope to see it in the magazine when it comes out on tuesday.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1547q5k.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »

Man i wish i was at the library now!!! I cant view the pic . I will as soon as i can i am actually doing my first fishing of the 2012 year . I live like 4 mins walking distance from an area known for trophy sized trout. I will post a thread.

Is mac the first bird you have ever owned?
Report Spam   Logged
cdsheid
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 2

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »

Yes he is.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

Debz,  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »

hmmm wonder why he has not flown.  thinkin3  But I wonder if he can't or chooses not to.  HW does not choose to but has on accident when spooked or when he has taken flight accidentally.  Then he gives me an OH CRAP look.  hardlaf 

I did not know if HW would let me harness him either but he did without pulling back bloody stumps.   dmblaf

Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 06:46:43 pm »

Many "hand Raised" birds are not allowed to fledge, BUT just because they haven't fledged does NOT mean they can't fly, they can. Unless you have taken your Macaw to a vet and had a new bird check-up with testing and x-rays you don't know for sure your bird can't fly. A spooked bird will go as high as they can and not come down because they don't know how to come down. They don't know how to maneuver themselves to get out of a tree because they were never taught as fledglings.BTW, unless you have the money to pay a tree company to retrieveyour Macaw you will not get your bird back alive unless he panics and somehow flies down to you.The fire department will not go after "pets" stuck in trees.

To teach your Macaw to adapt to a harness takes time and patience. Always end training sessions on a positive note. Start by getting him used to the harness being in view, bring it closer every day, lay it on him, lay it across his head and take it off, slide his head into the proper area and slide his wings through.It's easies to put on a harness if the bird sits on something they can not grip, the sink, or counter is a good place.

We are not yelling at you, but trying to educate you so you don't loose a bird as some of us have. Even recall trained birds will panic, trust me, I know from first hand experience.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:50:42 pm by Sondra » Report Spam   Logged
cdsheid
Jardine's Jr. Member

Like my post 2

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »

I've heard enough of the advice on the harness. We have been out on walks and into stores and even to a parade. he has gotten spooked once at the parade when they shot of a canon full of confetti over our heads and he climbed up on to the top of my head and stood there freaking out but he did not attempt to fly. I am confident with what i am doing with MY bird. There is not a tree in iowa i can not climb. Im a buck 40 and there is nothing i can not climb. He does happen to fly i will be in that tree then the fire department will have to come and get me back down with the bird. I know all of you mean well but it is getting pretty annoying. I am obviously doing a great job with the bird and if i thought there was a chance he could get away he would be harnessed. So sorry if this pisses any one off but im a little annoyed with all the posts about it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: