Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 03:44:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Jaxon's story

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaxon's story  (Read 297 times)
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Windows User Combination
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »

I fell in love with Jaxon the day he hatched. He was born at a friends aviary in Cali and I was able to see him in pictures that first day. Day 2 she realized his leg was not normal. She took him to the vet and found out he has a hyper extended stifle joint. Basically. his leg sticks straight out and does not bend at the knee. For a long time we did not know his future, I remember going into one vet visit there were 3 possible outcomes. Surgery, amputation, or death. I dont think I have ever been so afraid in my life! But the outcome was good, they did surgery and he had an expected recovery of 90%. Sadly he regained only about 2% use of his leg. But we decided that he could still have a good life and I decided to adopt him.

First pics are after surgery #1. next set are after surgery #2..hes drugged up. Also while trying to fit him in a sling he was cut with a razor knife..literally almost cutting his crop open. You can still see the scar today.

A day or so after his surgery he was put in a "sling" to help keep his leg straight.

From there he started having problems with his recovery. His leg was cold to the touch and he began to lose the function he had gained back after surgery. He never really recovered more after that. For a long time we thought he would not be able to do anything but he proved us wrong as he got older.

Finally he was starting to eat on his own and was ready to make the flight from California here to WI. What a nightmare that was! Mi Amore and I went to MN to go to the bird fair and then pick Jaxon up at the airport. His flight was supposed to come in at 8:30 pm. Well the bird fair got done at 3 and Mi Amore and i drove around MN killing time and finally at 7pm decided just to go park at the airport and wait, well we were about to pay for parking and her phone rang. Jaxon was kept in Atlanta because the losers at the airport didnt read his info saying he was handicapped and thought he was sick or dying because he was laying on the bottom of the cage. Well needless to say he was not sick or dying, just being jax. So We had 2 choices come back in the am to get him or have hom sent back to CA. Now remember he is was not weaned and was coming here early so that he would not have to relearn stuff and cause him to revert or make things harder on him. So we go back to MN the next day, get to the airport in time only to get a big run around on where to pick him up. Finally figured out we had to LEAVE the airport and go a few miles away to get him. We get there, its now 10 am and figuring he would of been unloaded from the plane at least 30 minutes before that I expected to walk in and get him right away and get him home and fed (had not been fed in 14 hours or so!). Alas...He was not there! They lost him at the airport and had to send 2 people to find him...finally at around 10:30am I had him in my arms...hungry but well! Also when they opened the carrier they did not see him and so I looked and he was not there!!!!! Little stinker burried himself under his bedding..phew.

At the airport talking to his breeder...scared to death still

All the black on his wings was stress bars from everything he went through

Eventually he began losing use of his good foot. Now he has maybe 50% usage of it...and he can no longer fly.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:04:25 pm »

I remember the story.  A lot to chew on at the time.  He turned into one heck of a Parrot and you have done great by him  hugu
Report Spam   Logged
Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »

yep i to remember those days. i also remember when i tried to hold him the little stinker latched onto my finger yikes for a little guy he has a big bite. he sure is a mamas boy
Report Spam   Logged

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:14:00 pm »

Wait a sec, did something happen to Jax?   sad8
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »

So all you peeps know, aside from Mi and Tiff, I am JAXON'S #1 FAN!! I love that little dude!

I am loved him from the day u first showed pics, and told me the story. and WOW! I didnt realize his feathers has that much of a color change...he looks good tiff! loveuk loveuk
Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »

Thanks all.

Debz, he's ok :) I was just telling the story for Yoshimike and other newer peeps.
Report Spam   Logged

Debz
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 32

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:53:11 pm »

sweaten ok...carry on then... thumb
Report Spam   Logged

Pippo -4 year old normal gray male tiel
Catania -3.5 year old pearl lutino female tiel
Home in Colorado
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:44:25 am »

Awww, he is absolutely gorgeous! His colors are awesome.  loveuk handshappy

Reading your story about Jaxon's trip to you ran chills down my back. I have had delays in my snake, tortoise, & tarantula shipments that caused them to get to me a day late. But they are more resilient than a baby parrot. I am so glad he got to you without any serious  incidences. You did an awesome job of raising to be a gorgeous boy.  :twirl:

Thanks so much for sharing yours' & Jaxon's story again. I am one of the new peeps that didn't get to read it the first time. And having a macaw with leg handicaps, I can certainly relate to you & Jaxon.  hugu
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:48 am »

what a beautiful story! sniff~

I remember the airport nightmare, but I did not realize it was THAT perilous! HOLY GEEZ someone seriously messed up that day(s)!

he is a cutie bug!  loveuk
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »

I too remember Jaxon's fight for life, literally.

All the stress bars make me sad when i see them.  I forget how bad they were until I see the pic again.   sadbigeye

Is it the angle of the pic, the last shot, his wings, the flights that cross, they cross ALOT. 

Poor guy, so he definately can't fly anymore huh.  Well at least ya can take him out with no harness!  thumb
Report Spam   Logged

YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

Level 3 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:07:59 pm »

2sadk cwy sadboy3 im so happy that he has you tho. !! i hope he is happy nonetheless hugu
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: