Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:23:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Trunk

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trunk  (Read 127 times)
BrokenWing
Teacher Member
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 19

Rescue

Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:56:55 am »

BrokenWing Chronicles
The Trunk

The trunk is the whole body of the bird between the neck and the tail. It is divided into the thorax,  abdomen and pelvis. The thorax is bounded by the rib cage, sternum (keel) and vertebral column (backbones). The abdomen and pelvis aren't separated by any well-defined boundaries. The top part of the trunk is divided into the  back and rump. The region between the right and left shoulder blades (scapulae) is called the  interscapular region, and often carries distinctive streaks or colors. The whole back, combined with the top surface of the wings, is called the mantle. Often these anatomical descriptions are used by judges during bird shows. The side area of the trunk is called the flank. The underside is divided into the breast,  belly and  undertail. Another area, the  crissum, refers to the general area around the vent, along with the undertail covert feathers. The term, vent, should only be used to describe the actual orifice, and not the general area under the tail.

BrokenWing
Report Spam   Logged

When all is done that is asked from me and I can fly no higher, I pray this day his hand extends to welcome home a flier.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: