Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:07:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Been a month since the boys came to live with me.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been a month since the boys came to live with me.  (Read 200 times)
patti3birds
Proud mom
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 13

Soaring on the Wings of Love

Badges: (View All)
Windows User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:54 am »

I was very concerned with how much vocalization I would have to endure from two macaws when I was deciding to get them. I have read so much about them being very noisy & I do know that all parrots can be that way. My biggest reason for concern was if it would interfere with my sleep since I work at night. I decided my comfort was going to have to take second chair to my desire to have my dream-come-true and own a macaw. I originally wanted a GW, but once I saw the gorgeous colors of the Catalina & also at the time I didn't find any GWs available I decided that was my fid!

I also was waiting for only Roscoe at first to be old enough to come home with me. He isn't completely weaned yet, but now uses the formula & soft foods for comfort. I baby them both & give them special foods everyday. Angel was an after thought while I was waiting for Roscoe. The breeder told me she had a special needs Catalina, Roscoe's older brother that she wanted to find a good home for.  After seeing a short video of Angel & learning about what I would need to make him comfortable I said, "Of course I'd give him a forever home!"  :twirl:

My two boys are very well mannered & do very little screaming. The usual morning screams for a short bit, but only after the curtains are opened. I do have plastic shower curtains I close around the aviary. They are super quiet, busy playing & eating their pellets until I get up & feed them their special foods & veggies. On nights I work I get home around 7:30 a.m., their lights come on at 7:00 a.m.. I feed them & play with them for a short bit, as much as I can squeeze into the morning. They are very quiet & sweet while I sleep & I get up again at 1:30 p.m. I get dressed & ready for work, then I interact with them for about 30 mins. & leave at 3:30 p.m. only to it all over again for 4 days.  roll

On my days off which are 4 also, I am in & out of their aviary all day long either messing with them or feeding & cleaning. They are just as quiet & give a little scream when they feel like it. It is always Roscoe that starts any screaming & Angel will follow his lead. I just ignore them as long as any screaming is going on & it doesn't last long, he mostly does it for the pleasure of screaming. I did expect the screams to be louder than they seem or maybe my hearing is worse than I thought.  confused Anyway, the Nanday conure I had years ago was much louder than these boys.  slaph

I know my time is coming when they won't be such sweet little angels & then I will be ranting about the devilish fids. that switched identities with my darlings.  oh For now I am going to enjoy every minute of my wonderful boys!!  hugu

Oh Sweetness...Yes.....Sounds totally Macaw Normal. Their are times that he will scream for 2 days and most times, he will play for 3-4 hrs at a time and not make a sound- while I sit and wonder how I ended up with such an Angel & constantly praise him for being such a good boy. Having the 2 that you own, sounds like a dream come true...What a Blessing loveuk hugu
Report Spam   Logged

Charlie- Green Winged Macaw
Peyote Tomas- Sunday Conure
Molly- Sun Conure

All Loved and adored By me: Patti

Axel--Feb 08, 2008-Jan 3, 2011** For whom taught me Bird Love**
Rose-- you too my sweet girl Dec 27, 2011
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: