Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 19, 2024, 10:29:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

how long did it take your parrot to trust you?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how long did it take your parrot to trust you?  (Read 314 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:27:18 pm »

marley was a baby when i got him, so he trusted me instantly. he didnt know anything but kindness. Skittles and i had that 'rescue scenario' so i consider his instant trust fairly unusual. Ollie, we all know it took ollie months and months to let go of his emotional baggage and believe that i meant him no harm. twiggy? well she was pretty quick, too, if i remember correctly. What puzzles me is caleb. He's pretty much trusted me since day one. And i just dont understand why.  dknow  is it a 'too thing? is it just a 'caleb' thing? or did he and i just kinda 'click'? what i know of his history, he has no reason to trust humans.

so... how long did it take your parrot to trust you?
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

Yoshi I had as a baby too so since day 1 we were good.  Zuri took mos for her to kinda trust me but totally trust, like unwavering total trust over a year, probably closer to year and a half.   Hollywood well you know, weeks to sorta trust me, like to step up.  But he still does not totally trust me so over a year and then some, as it is still work in progress.
Report Spam   Logged

BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »

Fawkes trusted us before we even left her old house. Aries did trust me right away but lost all trust after the earthquake and we are still working on fixi g that years later. Maui trusted me day one but really trusted me by day three, hes known nothing but love so i a,m not surprised by that. Everyone else either hatched here or came as a baby.

Report Spam   Logged

Mi Amore
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 16

for the love of all living things great and small

Linux User Mobile User Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:26:54 am »

jojo bean has never liked me. now my husband she trusted from day one. in fact i refer to her as his feathered wife,as she almost competes with me to be with him. if anybody walks by when she is out by him you better know how to move fast or you will be bleeding.  its odd because her former home stated she hated men..hmm. then we have miss sidne,who we were also told didnt like men,ha ha what a joke.  she is ok with us,but the trust isnt fully there for hubby or i yet with her.she prefers him over me though.  the black caps well they havent trusted us. they wont step up for me at all and bite me like mad. they are starting to get a bit more trusting with hubby they at least step up for him and only bite if he moves to fast. they along with sidne and jojo bean were in dark areas of homes no toys very very little human contact at all were fed food to big for them so all were skinny. i also think reason for them all not to trust me is because the people that neglected them were women. i am not sure thats why 100%,but thats my theory. mojave of course trusts me because i raised him. he is a mommy's boy and he will tell u so. little vireo was also raised by me. he is my baby also. he will only go by my hubby if i am not near by. when i open his cage he flies over to me and makes it known he is my baby. good topic tozie!
Report Spam   Logged

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:34 am »

Dang, my post disappeared! Will reply again after work.
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36:38 am »

Kito, Tupi, Miah, Squiggy, Aussie, and Chico was right a way.  The Lovies and some of the Keets want nothing to do with us.  The ring necks were rehomed and sometimes Majal will trust me to a point.  Julio?  IF you can get him out of his cage he is very trusting but that transition can be quite painful if patients are not used.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:39:39 pm »

Momma and Ponch were bothe right away.

Max took to me right away, hasn't taken to hubs though. Max lets me touch him and he does want his snuggle time with me.Everything with Max must be done on his terms and at his bidding, he isn't hand tame and he's very old.

Higgins, he took to hubs within a week, he'll let hubs do ANYTHING to him, but me.....well I can transport him and touch his toes and wings, but that's about it. It tok me almost 6 months to do that with Higgins.

Powder........dang! It took hubs 18 months to be able to handle Powder without being bit EVERY SINGLE TIME. Hubs insisted that he would bring Powder out every day and he would play with him and put him to bed, so he got bit a minimum of 2 times a day and those bites were NASTY bites!! With me, Powder took to me immediately, got a couple of bites but nothing compared to what hubs went through. Then Powder decided he liked hubs better than me and I was the one being bit every chance he got. This lasted about a year during which we re-homed Powder, we just couldn't take being bit so badly nor the awful constant screaming. The Re-homeing lasted less than a week because we were devastated at him not being with us so we went and brought him home. Powder then decided he was our bird, demanding attention from both of us and giving lovins to both of us.
Report Spam   Logged
Jadesmom
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 19

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:03:47 pm »

Jadie I was told would never trust or let me touch her. It took exactly 3 days. Buddy was instant, as was Bella .
Report Spam   Logged

“My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive God’s guidance and protection.”
St. Francis of Assissi

My rescued and adopted feathered family...
Zebra Finches - The widow Mary Meeper & her new beau Joey Peepers, Leo and all the "kids"
The Quakes - Jade & Buddy & Ducky
"Sunday" Conure - Bella
Canary Wing Parakeets - Dexter and Morgan
The Budgies - Waldo, Wanda,  Pixie, and Violet
Fly high little Johnny Meeper  - flew to the Rainbow Bridge 1-6-2010
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 03:18:42 am »

Of course my two macaw boys are very new to my home & me. Roscoe the normal boy was skeptical about me the first day. He still wanted his Mommy that raised him (the breeder), all it took to win him over was feeding him some formula & he decided I was gonna' be alright.  hugu He is still learning the step up process & I am working slowly with it. He doesn't try to bite at all no matter what I'm doing in their aviary. He will come over and check out the new toys or whatever & nibble on anything I am holding. If he thinks I want to get him on my hand he will move away for about a half second & back he comes.  :twirl:

Angel my special boy allowed me to cup his wings & help him up on the perch area from day one, but that was as far as he wanted to go with trust. He knew he needed me to help him if he found his way to the floor. He tries to bite my fingers if I hold a piece of fruit or other food item whether it is for him or Roscoe.  naughty I divert the bite by moving the item between my fingers & his beak. I haven't tried to move any farther with his training, but yesterday he surprised me with wanting me to scratch his neck while I was doing something on the outside of the aviary. I went in and asked him if I could scratch his neck. At first he thought of biting as I slowly moved toward his neck area, then he ruffled his head feathers & thoroughly enjoyed it. First step accomplished!  thumb Later in the day I asked him if he wanted another scratch since he was trying to do it himself. He let me right off, so I am winning him over with the touch of a scratch. He still wants to get my fingers if he can see them.  slaph

Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 07:54:54 am »

I went to the bredders many times while Julian and his clutch were weaning, and it was like a middle school dance, LOL them on one side of the room and me on the other.  eventualy , one came over, then another and then all 4 ..we were cool after that :)
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:11:47 am »

Not to steal this thread but a question.
Nakia, Do you think there is the possibility of him not seeing clearly?  Have you tried holding food as far down your fingers to your hand as you can get it (between your fingers right next to your hand and as close to the end of whatever you're holding)?  It may be he has poor eyesight.
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 07:47:25 pm »

From the way Angel acts & his check up, his eye sight is very good. He takes the fruit from my hand right off. He allows me to help him on the occasions he falls & he can glide down so it isn't a hard fall thankfully. He just likes my fingers & not to give love nips. He allows me to scratch his neck so it is just going to be a slow process with him. I can understand that he feels vulnerable with his handicap.  He is just fine with me being in the aviary with him tending to things & spending time with them. He sees & plays with the toys, even hangs from them while chewing on them and he climbs all over following Roscoe. They have been home for a little over a week, so he just has to settle in & get used to me instead of his favorite Mommy he had.  Thanks for the suggestion about his sight.
Report Spam   Logged
YoshiMike13
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 7

Level 3 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:09:11 pm »

Lmfao @ middle school dance!! Thats so true sometimes lol.
Report Spam   Logged
BilboMisty
Hahn's Member

Like my post 17

Of all the animals, Parrots chose me! <3

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

Peanut, I've known her since she was a nekked alien...she was supposed to be my cousins bird, but he lost interest in her right away. The trust was there, but not till a few months after we brought her home. It was then, that she broke a blood feather. I tried pulling it out, which i have done before, but this one was broklen at the bulb, and she wouldn't stop bleeding. I took her to the vet, and she said "I am so glad you brought her in...5 more minutes, she would have died." FOr a few days after that, i gave her CONSTANT attention...it was then that the trust was complete. We have such a strong bond now! She only trusts me. hen i am not hom and todd is, she will go to him, but not cuddle. I can cuddle her any which way possible!

Rodney, him being rescued from a TERRIBLE home by me, is kinda iffy. The 1st 2 weeks, he let me do ANYTHING to him, then came the biting. He would bite anybody including me, for 3 months straight...like SERIOUS biting. Then he just stopped! Well, he still wont let me do ANYTHING to him, but as of very recently, he lets me pet and scritch him, and play hid n seek with the towel, and play "pole dancin" with a perch. He is getting better every day! It has been an ongoing process for a little over 2 1/2 yrs. But he is getting there!!

Flicka, her being 6 yrs old and used to being in a flight with other lovies, isnt quite tame...will fly away if given the chance...but she will let us hold her, cup her in our hands, kiss her, pet her IF she is cupped. But day by day she is trusting us more. She is actually pretty dang tame for being an aviary bird! I've had her since this past November
Report Spam   Logged

Noah Adam Francisco, Born January 8th, 2013

Momma to:
1 Cockatiel--Peanut
1 Pacific Parrotlet-- Clover
I MISS YOU COOPER!
FLY HIGH MISTY!! 03-12-2008 to 10-19-2010 I MISS YOU BABY GIRL!
1 Dutch Blue Pied Female Lovebird--Flicka: Fly High sweetheart, We will miss you!
1 Calico Kitty--Kaya
1 Dark Eyed White Ferret, female; Jinx
BirdCrazy
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 18

Search Level 5 Linux User
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »

Skittles and Scooter...instant trust.

Gizmo...still working on him, and I've had him about 5 years now.

My past fids, Sassy my lovebird-instant, and Pete my budgie-2 years.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: