Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 29, 2024, 10:10:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

hormonal 'zons

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hormonal 'zons  (Read 300 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

oops, sorry i just realized, i put this in the wrong section. meant to put it in 'behavior'. <sigh>  dknow  seee??? i TOLD ya'll i was tired tonight.  dmblaf

lets see... confused   where to start?  okay, i closed monday and tuesday this week. Well, on Monday i got home later than usual. I came in and threw my purse on my bed, knowing that i would be putting the fids to bed quickly.  as i came back in the livingroom (walking by twiggy's cage) i had to dodge a lunge by Ollie.  bugeye  WTH??  oh how did you get there??? he had escaped his cage through one of the food doors and was on top of twiggy's cage. He was in full display and ready to kill.  so i assumed he was scared and disoriented. after all, i had no idea how long he'd been there. so i got the lance and he leaped on it and tried to leap over the protective bottle. actually halfway succeeded. i still had my jacket on (thank goodness) so i twisted my body so the jacket was loosely hanging between him and my face. as i tried to get him to his cage quickly. of course he couldnt keep a grip on the bottle and started to fall, i didnt want him to hurt himself so i twisted my arm so he could grip my sleeve. well, he got the fleshy part of my palm (got it good, too!  slaph  )   i carefully put him in his cage and let him calm down a bit. by the time it was his turn for nite nite scritches, he wasnt in display anymore but as he put his little 'hand' through the bars it was still trembling. I chalked it up to just being thrown off his routine. huh! dumb human!  headhammer
So fast forward to tonight. i get home. let everyone out of their cages. keeping a close eye on everyone. (as close as possible) ollie gets in the floor to wander a bit. i dont encourage such activity, but hey, it does happen. i let him wander for a bit til i he gets into a non-birdie approved area.  i take him back and put him back on top of his cage. he wanders to twiggy's cage, twiggy is near the bottom stretching her little neck toward him.  bugeye  I think NOT!! so i try to intervene. Ollie immediately goes into display and tries to attack me for interfering.  slaph  Suddenly it dawns on me.  idea  he is looking to her for a 'friend'. now even if she is interested, the diff in size...yeah, not happening. So he's locked back up and happily playing in his box shredding paper. but i am reminded of the article i read about Amazon males that have to stay in their cages throughout breeding season for dangerous aggression.  slaph
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »

How old is Ollie? I see that he is a Yellow Nape; One of the "Hot Trio" (Yellow Nape, Dbl YH, and Blue Front). You definitely want to monitor his interaction with the others, things can get out of hand quickly. When my Vinnie was a hormonal teen, he wasn't looking for a friend, he just wanted me dead! Just like some hormonal human teens. The tactics I used were distraction, one on one time, and positive reinforcement. He loves pomegranates, so if he didn't draw blood I gave him some. I guess the red juice was a good enough substitute for my blood. Extra environmental enrichment may also help to redirect his emotional outbursts. Hang in there, they're only teens for so long  grouphug
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »

Hang in there, they're only teens for so long  grouphug

Thats what My Momma said about me 23 years ago and I aint changed smile3
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:32 am »

ollie is in his late 20's. i dont have an offical age on him. He's a wild caught green pitbull.  dmblaf  He and i have been fencing for about 18 or 20 months. i'm getting better at predicting him, but he still surprises me sometimes. i dont let ANY of my fids interact. They are each pretty good about staying in their own territory, but Ollie will wander the globe occasionally. He's not as bad about trying to maim me as he was when i first got him but he still has his moments when he goes into overload.

D!  slaph    lol
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
BrilliantFids
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 23

Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:24 am »

slaph
Aries is mostly cage bound during hormone time. He is generally ok with me...though I have to watch him close. But if he sees shane when he is hormonal he will fly to him and attack. Shane is scared of him, cant blame him there...that bird packs some power in his bites.
Report Spam   Logged

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »

Oh no I would not let them interact either, Yoshi wants to interact with Zuri too which is about the same beak size as a zon and NO way not happening as you said.  I am too scared.

He is just wandering around wondering if you picked up a stray zon in your travels.  dmblaf
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: