Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 18, 2024, 01:21:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

nothing like a nice outting

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nothing like a nice outting  (Read 245 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:53 pm »

i had to send a package for my boss today. i knew i wasnt gonna be out long, i knew i wasnt going to run into walmart. so i got out skittles' harness and asked him if he wanted to go bye bye. well, he was quite agreeable. so i got the harness out and got it ready...uh... got it ready... uh, turned it around  think  well, maybe it goes this way... think  uuumm, well if i dont get it on right it will be uncomfortable... so uh...  confused  oh! i'll google the directions real quick....HA!  headhammer  real quick my ruby red butt! finally after getting frustrated, i start digging thru the bird stuff, finally find the aviator box and the dvd instructions. sit through the intro, and finally get the only info i need, which way is frontway?? so i finally get it straight. get skittles on the table to put the harness on. and to my pleasant surprise, he remembered it and was okay with it. i thought he might have forgotten it and i'd have to re-aquaint him to it. but NOPE. he was tickled to death, chattering about 'going bye bye' over and  over.  i get him to walgreens, and he was again, so excited. he was chattering at everyone. happily telling them 'hello' and 'good burd' and laughing with them. most people were mildly amused. of course, at one point i felt like a guest speaker at an elementary school. we had the typical Q & A session: does he bite? how old is he? what's his name? can i touch him? then some wanted details on the species. Of course, he charmed the heck outta every child he met. Skittles loves children. its actually kinda cute. one poor girl, who happened to be afraid of birds, was walking by as he got mad at me and let out a scream and flapped.  ashamed  i felt bad and apologized  profusely. she was fine, not upset, just chuckled at the whole incident. but i know how i'd feel if someone had a big ole tarantula at the package store, so i decided it was time to take him home for a quick snack and a nap. He's happily napping right now, and i'd imagine he'll sleep well tonight.

of course, i stressed how difficult parrots are to care for. went over and over their negative attributes. mostly to the ones who had that gleam in their eye, ya know the ones. you can actually read their mind as they imagine a pristine white cage, with a little seed, and a perfect feathered angel sitting quietly or performing tricks on que. HA!  laugh laffhrd  fortunately the bit of poo trailing down my t-shirt (a passing car literally scared the poo outta him!) helped convinced the delusional ones. ya know, only bird people look at a poo spot on their shirt and say "ah well, poop happens."  dknow
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:59:02 pm »

Sounds like Skittles had a good time! He sure loves going "bye-bye" doesn't he! I think Skittles is like Powder, he KNOWS what the harness means and loves it, even having to stay inside from mid Fall to late Spring he gets excited when he sees that harness! LOL!

I hate people asking "Can I pet him?", I tell them Nope, he's a wild animal and I never know when he's gonna bite, plus I'm very protective of my babies. Then it's "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I want one of those!" I just ask if they'd like to spend the rest of their life caring for a bird with a can opener on his face that acts just like a 2 year old throwing a temper-tantrum 80% of their waking hours, oh, and by the way you have to cook for them EVERY DAY! Did I mention that they also destroy EVERYTHING made of wood? That usually puts out that "gleam" in their eyes real quick.  laugh
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:12:14 pm »

Awesome!  thumb
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:24:06 pm »

Sounds like Skittles had a good time! He sure loves going "bye-bye" doesn't he! I think Skittles is like Powder, he KNOWS what the harness means and loves it, even having to stay inside from mid Fall to late Spring he gets excited when he sees that harness! LOL!

I hate people asking "Can I pet him?", I tell them Nope, he's a wild animal and I never know when he's gonna bite, plus I'm very protective of my babies. Then it's "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I want one of those!" I just ask if they'd like to spend the rest of their life caring for a bird with a can opener on his face that acts just like a 2 year old throwing a temper-tantrum 80% of their waking hours, oh, and by the way you have to cook for them EVERY DAY! Did I mention that they also destroy EVERYTHING made of wood? That usually puts out that "gleam" in their eyes real quick.  laugh

i've just been kinda a homebody the last several months. so i didnt take skittles anywhere. then i was also getting paranoid about someone following me home and trying to take my angels. so, tho the weather has been agreeable for parrots, i just havent taken him anywhere in several months

the questions dont bother me. i dont mind explaining that they cant touch him or why. and there is nothing like a three inch beak to discourage people from getting into my personal bubble!  lol  there was one girl who was very impressed with it, but you could see she really had no idea about reality. when i mentioned it was time for him to go home for his nap she exclaimed "it sleeps???"  slaph as she walked away from me she was yelling at her mom "hey mom! i'm getting a parrot!" yeah right!  stop

there was one lady who was very excited to see him, she said "this is great! you expect to see them at Busch Gardens, but not at Walgreens!"  dmblaf
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »

sadboy3 no body does anything cool at OUR Walgreens. *pout.

I am so glad you had a good outing!! skittles loves it too, that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THE HARNESS, julian freaked last time so we gotta start over. the winter time is enough that he foregets.  slaph
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:14:13 am »

awesome outing!  I always thank people for asking before they touch HW.  I tell them no, he is not comfy enough and may bite.  But I have had many people just reach out to touch.  Just cuz he is out with me does not give you the right to touch him.  I know they are beautiful and all but HELLO giant beak!

Report Spam   Logged

patti3birds
Proud mom
Hookbill Master Member

Like my post 13

Soaring on the Wings of Love

Windows User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:57:05 pm »

Totally Cool!!! thumb Skittle is a real trooper. Charlie loves to go out but hates to ride in the car, so Im sorta screwed.

ext time, you gotta remember your camera- Hey~ I know you could start a scrapbook of the Places he has seen and heard & have a co worker take your picture outside of the wallgreens sign weirdo3......That would be so YOU pictime
Report Spam   Logged

Charlie- Green Winged Macaw
Peyote Tomas- Sunday Conure
Molly- Sun Conure

All Loved and adored By me: Patti

Axel--Feb 08, 2008-Jan 3, 2011** For whom taught me Bird Love**
Rose-- you too my sweet girl Dec 27, 2011
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: