Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
April 20, 2024, 12:33:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

parrot sexuality question...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: parrot sexuality question...  (Read 328 times)
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:37:32 am »

okay, know this probably goes in one of the parrot topics. with it being something of a mature subject i put it here.
but anyway...

Skittles is sexually mature. he's/she's been pleasuring him/herself with the bell on top of the cage. now, as i watched today he/she had some trouble getting the bell to stay in postion. but in the past i've caught the end of the proceedure. and there was definitely fluid expelled toward the end of the activity. but today the tail would alternate between down and around the bell, to up and to the side of the bell. two very different postures. his wings were completely spread through most of the time. but i'm still very confused on whether or not i can deduce his/her gender from all this activity. do females expell fluids? i thought not. and i know the best way would be to have a dna test, but that's not gonna happen at this time for various reasons. so anyone with any concrete knowledge about this? i mean, my speculation is that skittles IS actually a male. he's definitely extrememly hormonal. wildly swinging emotions, goes from happy to screamy in 2.5 seconds, nippy to cuddly, the whole package. i'm sure this is a hardwired hormone surge cause the air is cooler, the hours of darkness are longer (even with my electric lights, i've been putting them to bed earlier), even food isnt as abundant, cant find any black grapes--his fave. i've been giving him more veggies and less fruit so he's getting less natural sugars, too.  but we know that in his native land, its springtime. so i'm guessing its a hardwired hormone surge, and not an environmental surge.

anyway, any insight, observations, or experience would be appreciated.  peace

now i guess i need to go clean the bell....again!   slaph
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:19:46 pm »

One thing I do know is parrot behaviour is the same during hormonal surges and as you stated the only sure fire way to sex a bird is DNA sexing, unless an egg is laid.

I was looking here: http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa.html

Chapter 4 tells about mating behaviour in some birds, Macaws included. Maybe if you look at it you'll notice something in his stance that could suggest a sex. I know when Momma masturbates she also has fluid expelled, it is usually after the process and is clearish. (I know, too much info) It is MUCH more noticeable when she poops, very slimy in appearance. Poncho Stands with one foot higher up on a perch when he masturbates. They both posture the same as Skittles.

I've been told by much more knowledgable people than I that because their spring is our winter it is the reason for a hormonal surge, it is hardwired.
Report Spam   Logged
wishforabird
WISHY
Flock Leader

Like my post 30

...all creatures great and small...

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:01:10 pm »

he rang his own bell, per se..

roll

if I didn't do it, D would have  smile3
Report Spam   Logged

-Wishy

-Julian Robert; MY SOMEDAY Conure, born April 5, 2010 :)
            came home: June 29, 2010
-*Stellaluna 12/15/08-11/1/10; sky-blue budgie
            (the bird that started it all)*
-Victor Augustus; 2008- Aug 12, 2011; rest in peace, good sir.
* Colbie; 2010 * Easter Daffodil;  born spring 2011; * Nerhi; born spring 2011;
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

Nuttin like a little jingle bells for an afternoon delight :smokinjoe:
Report Spam   Logged
steptoe91(tozie)
Flock Leader

Like my post 50

Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:15:24 am »

slaph  D???? see what you've done? you've got wishy doing it too.  slaph

laffhrd laugh  ya'll crack me up.
Report Spam   Logged

Beth, the crazy lady who lives on the corner

Skittles - scarlet macaw, Marley - black headed caique, Twiggy - quaker parrot, Ollie - yellow naped amazon, Caleb - Moluccan Cockatoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: