Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:37:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Holiday Safety

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday Safety  (Read 302 times)
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Search
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:30:16 am »

Many people use real pine trees but they have pesticides on them so never let your birds play or chew the branches. Remember most birds will "taste" these trees. You can hose them off before bringing them into the house to rid the tree of most of the pesticide on the needles. Never let your bird chew on artificial trees either as they can become very sick if they ingest any of the metallic needles. Also beware of birds chewing on electrical cords.

Don't let your birds chew on ornaments as the glass ones could break and cut them, the metal and wood ones contain lead or other minerals that could poison them. Don't use tinsel, yarn or angel hair on your trees as it could cause a blockage if ingested.
Poinsettia, Mistletoe, and Holly can be toxic or an irritant to your birds or other animals.
The chemicals used to make colourful flames put on logs (wood) is toxic to your birds when ingested or burned.
Air fresheners, store bought potpourri, plug-ins, sprays, candles are all toxic to birds lungs. Make your own air fresheners by boiling spices and covering with a strainer to prevent birds from accidently falling into a hot solution. Candles csn be used if they do not contain oils and have a cotting wick. Many candles have a wire in the wick which when burned sends gases into the sir containg toxic levels of led and other products.All natural beeswax candles are safe.
Do not burn metalic, highly coloured, or shiney gift wrap as it gives off toxic fumes containing cadium and lead. Try to use non-glossy, tissue,or cellaphane as gift wrap.
Do not give your birds salty, sweet, or fatty foods from our dinner. Yes we want to share with them but even a very small amount could be dangerous for them.
Many of us have guests during the Holidays and this can be very stressful for our birds. Have a room just for them and keep them in their cages with the door to the room closed. Place a sign on the door that states "KEEP CLOSED". Be firm about keeping people out. This doesn't mean you can't bring your birds out to enjoy the festivities, just give them a space to call their own away from everybody. If you don't have a room to keep them in use gates to keep people away from their cages. Many places sell the expandable gates/playpens for toddlers. Remember small children and some adults will insist on sticking fingers into cages so be firm about people keeping their distance from your flock.
Lock all doors into and out of the house except ONE so that there is no chance of an accidental bird escape and again be very firm about keeping all but that one door locked.
If you have smokers as guests have them smoke OUTSIDE! NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Preprogram Poison Control and the Emergency Vet phone numbers into your phone.
Hide any non-stick/teflon so that anyone "helping" with the cooking doesn't use it and accidently lets it overheat.
Have non-aerosol hair spray and deoderant on hand as spares for guests - we use it and they may not and we don't want aerosol products used in our homes and poisoning our birds lungs.
 If any infants are present make sure all disposable diapers are immediately put outdoors in the trash because they contain Sodium Ploycrylate which has been linked to toxic shock syndrome, allergic reactions and potentially toxic to pets...............think what would happen if any were to get into a birds crop, it would soak up fluid and swell.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:56:40 am by Sondra » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ditty
Hyacinth Member

Like my post 44

Ditty

Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »

thumb  good info!
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »

Good Gal Sondra. thumb  I will sticky post this.
Report Spam   Logged
vistosmommy
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 9

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:51:19 pm »

Thanks for the helpful info.  I was thinking about the christmas tree situation today actually.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:11:19 am »

Don't forget you can decorate your birds cage and playgym. Use plain popcorn, cleaned and de-bugged pinecones rolled in almond-butter and either seed, pellets, nuts. You can also colour the one piece clothes pins (the one without the metal in them) and add them to toys or push them onto the bars of the cage. Just don't use glues, glitter, or lights around the cage.
Report Spam   Logged
vistosmommy
Psittaciforme Full Member

Like my post 9

Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:58:25 am »

I love those ideas!!  I may do a string of popcorn and beads for the birds cages!  The issue I am having with the Christmas tree is the cages that we have acquired over the past year are now where we normally put the tree.  My house is not that large, so finding another spot for the tree is proving difficult and moving the cages to put the tree where it normally goes is just as hard as the only other empty spot in the house is drafty and not in a main part of the house.  I guess when i start doing my winter cleaning today, I will try rearranging and see what happens.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:54 am »

I'm bumping this topic as it's that time of year again.
Report Spam   Logged
Nakia
Administrator
Parrot Trooper

Like my post 52

Name~De'Andrea~AKA~Turquoise~Joined: 01/25/2012

Fourth year Anniversary Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:46:23 pm »

Thanks for the reminders Sondra. hugu I haven't used a real tree for many years.

Hubby & Mom when she  was still alive were allergic to them.
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:10 pm »

Artificial trees are are just as dangerous as real trees, the stuff the "needles" are made of can kill a bird if ingested as it will sit in the crop and grow mold. People who use thread to string popcorn must watch that the tread doesn't wrap around a toe, neck, wing, etc. Most holiday items will arouse curiosity in our birds, bright lights, bright colours, etc and many items are made overseas where regulations aren't as strict as here in the US so you may have lead or other toxins in the paint or wood. Pluse we all know birds will want to tongue everything or bite everything so be extra careful about glass bulbs/balls in their reach. No sprays/air fresheners, or glad plug ins & check your candles don't have metal in the wick.
Report Spam   Logged
BuffaloParrot

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »

thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Sondra
Flock Leader

Like my post 42

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »

Because Christmas is around the corner I thought we could all use a reminder of hazardous items we might not think about that we use during this time of year, such as stringed popcorn, candles, sprays, etc, so I am bumping this for not only us, but anyone who is a guest.
Report Spam   Logged
grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 03:30:46 pm »

Great information. You can also include dried fruit or fresh cranberries, dried peppers and so on in your popcorn string. Just make sure they get the unsalted and unbuttered popcorn and keep the movie theater buttered popcorn for yourself!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: