Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:07:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT LINKS
BuffaloParrot.com
Forum Code of Conduct
Forum Portal
Contact us via Email: buffaloparrot@buffaloparrot.com
Squawk It Up!

Welcome to the Buffalo Parrot Squawk Forums!Play our Daily Trivia Game! New Questions Daily!

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links RECENT POSTS Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Exploding parrot population in U.S. will cause crisis, predicts national Best Fr

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exploding parrot population in U.S. will cause crisis, predicts national Best Fr  (Read 178 times)
BuffaloParrot

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »

Everyone needs to read and absorb this, including guests who may stumble upon it.  My self and some others have been warning of this for some time now.  http://news.yahoo.com/exploding-parrot-population-u-cause-crisis-predicts-national-203211984.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

grey782163
Sig
Super Moderator
Splendid Sr. Member

Like my post 37

Third year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »

I agree with you on the majority of the piece, however there were several omissions that need to be addressed. For instance the numbers of parrots legally imported every year can be divided into two classes. First are Americans living abroad for over a year are allowed to bring in 2 pet parrots upon their return subject ot the export laws of the country they were residing in as well as import and customs quarrantine in the US( for instance US service members deployed overseas its no different than moving with your dog). A second class would be breeders and zoological facilities participating in a cooperative breeding program subject ot CITES approval, export and import requirements. Yes they do remove a small number from the wild if a species is not well represented in aviculture and is in imminent danger of extinction. All birds brought in for this purpose are tracked by the USFWS to measure the success of captive breeding efforts and the relocation of a bird brought in for this purpose is heavily controlled. Captive breeding does have a place in conservation as an ex situ measure to preserve genetic viability of a species while in situ conservation plans are implemented to restore habitat, provide education, and reduce or eliminate poaching.

I would have liked to see the source for the figures presented as well. To my knowledge there is no quantitative answer to the number of parrots in the US or how many are bred each year. I know of no requirement on breeders to reveal the number of birds they keep or produce each year. I certainly wish there were requirements for both, but I don't see it happening. It seems to imply that cockatoos and macaws are a sizeable percentage of the gross number. With macaws and cockatoos producing 2-4 eggs on average per clutch, that would be a huge number of breeding pairs to reach that astronomical number, I just don't see it.

The breeders certainly need to be better policed, I have no objection to anyone in an official capacity checking out my birds, their living conditions, their diet, their vet care, or my record keeping. But at the same time the rescues need to be better policed. A few years ago, a local rescue was inundated when a "rescue" was raided by the ASPCA. If I remember correctly, over 100 birds were seized from deplorable conditions.

The keys are education, regulation, enforcement, and more education
Report Spam   Logged

BuffaloParrot

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

thumb
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: